Mailing List Archive

scp -r blues
Hi there,

I'm using the latest stable release of open-ssh, and scp, and am having
a problem...

I want to use scp to backup some important files on a publically visible
server.

Everything seems fine, except for two details:

1) scp will not copy a core file. This server is used for devel, and the
occasional core file is created. scp almost always coughs on such files,
and stops.

2) scp -r will recurse sub-directories, but no option is available for
"don't copy sym-links" or similar. It's not uncommon to hit a loop,
copying recursively forever until you are out of disk space locally. In
other words, if
/home/user/bin/scripts/perl/tcommand
is a symlink to
/home/user/bin/tcommand
than scp will copy the ./scripts/perl/tcommand over and over as
sub-directories over and over... endlessly.

Is there a way around these two problems?

-Ben

--
"Life is short. Live it!"
Re: scp -r blues [ In reply to ]
One workaround is to run rsync on top of ssh. In general, it is a much
better copy utility, with clever performance enhancements for making
minor file updates across slow links, and I now use it for just about
everything from automatic mirroring of my home directory on a backup
machine to downloading email to my laptop.

Phil
Re: scp -r blues [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> I'm using the latest stable release of open-ssh, and scp, and am having
> a problem...
>
> I want to use scp to backup some important files on a publically visible
> server.
>
> Everything seems fine, except for two details:
>
> 1) scp will not copy a core file. This server is used for devel, and the
> occasional core file is created. scp almost always coughs on such files,
> and stops.

I can't replicate this behaviour. What platforms are the client and
server end?

An error messages when the copy stops?

Can you try turning ip the LogLevel to DEBUG and see what is produced?

-d