Mailing List Archive

Password and RH 6.1
Jim Knobel said:

>Paul, i think you misunderstand. The OpenSSH RPMs are not provided by
>Red Hat. They're built by Damien Miller (who also coordinates the
>non-BSD port of OpenSSH) and are available in the same location you
>downloaded the OpenSSH source from.

I just figured this out. I apologize, I am new to Red Hat and I
just don't think to grab an RPM when I need to install something.

>Since Damien builds OpenSSH and uses it on Red Hat Linux 6.1 systems,
>there must be something funky about either the configuration of your
>system or the way you configured and compiled OpenSSH. Please help us
>help you and discover what the differences are.

This is possible. I just tried to install Damien's RPM and get
the following:

[root@chime src]# rpm -ivh openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1

I have already installed and compiles Openssl, did a make test
and it passed so I did a make install. I don't seem to have
libcrypto.so.0 anywhere on my system. If there is an Openssl
RPM I couldn't find it at openssl.org.

I found that Openssh does allow root to login but just does not
seem to be able to find the password for any other users.

Thanks for your patience.

--Paul T.

--
'...if clones are outlawed then only outlaws will have clones...'
Re: Password and RH 6.1 [ In reply to ]
> [root@chime src]# rpm -ivh openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
> openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
> libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1

My best guess....
You compiled/installed openssl using the defaults, it installed the
libraries into /usr/local/lib, your /etc/ld.so.conf does not list
/usr/local/lib as a directory with dynamic libraries in it.

Fix:
1. Add /usr/local/lib to the dynamic library search list
RTFM ldconfig for details

2. Alternatively rebuild openssl setting --prefix=/usr on the
configure line (BTW you need to run ldconfig asfter install).

3. Best of all make/get/rebuild openssl as an RPM. There is a
current one, with SRPM too at
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/openssl-0.9.5-1.i38
6.html

I have come to the conclusion that on a package managed system like RH,
any software that does not live in a user's own directories, should
always be built and installed as packages. This allows you to be able
to link pretty much every file on the system with the package that
generated it, do upgrades neatly, and in general be able to control
your system rather than have it accumulate cruft over the years.

Nigel.

--
[. - Opinions expressed are personal and may not be shared by VData - ]
[ Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]
Re: Password and RH 6.1 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> 3. Best of all make/get/rebuild openssl as an RPM. There is a
> current one, with SRPM too at
> http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/openssl-0.9.5-1.i38
> 6.html

Thanks for the pointer to the openssl rpm. I picked it up, installed
it, the other openssh rpms then installed correctly, the whole proces
took about 3 minutes and now it all works! Hee, kind of takes the
fun out of it.

> I have come to the conclusion that on a package managed system like RH,
> any software that does not live in a user's own directories, should
> always be built and installed as packages. This allows you to be able

You are probably right. I am used to incrementally upgrading
things and just don't like feeling dependant on someone to create
an RPM I might need. That's my problem.

Thank you all for you patience once again and thank you Damien
Miller for your great work!

Cheers,

--Paul T.

--
'...if clones are outlawed then only outlaws will have clones...'
Re: Password and RH 6.1 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:22:53PM -0800, Paul Thomas wrote:
> >Since Damien builds OpenSSH and uses it on Red Hat Linux 6.1 systems,
> >there must be something funky about either the configuration of your
> >system or the way you configured and compiled OpenSSH. Please help us
> >help you and discover what the differences are.
>
> This is possible. I just tried to install Damien's RPM and get
> the following:
>
> [root@chime src]# rpm -ivh openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
> openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
> libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
>
> I have already installed and compiles Openssl, did a make test
> and it passed so I did a make install. I don't seem to have
> libcrypto.so.0 anywhere on my system. If there is an Openssl
> RPM I couldn't find it at openssl.org.

The failed dependency messages are there because RPM's database doesn't
include the fact that you built and installed OpenSSL manually. There
should be ready-made packages of OpenSSL in the same directory as the
one you got OpenSSH from.

If you don't use the RPM packages, you can still get things running by
adding the directory your libcrypto was installed in to /etc/ld.so.conf,
running "/sbin/ldconfig", and installing OpenSSH using RPM's "--nodeps"
flag.

If you're uncertain of where OpenSSL got installed, running
'find /usr -name "libcrypto*" -print' should give you a listing of any
files under /usr with names that start with libcrypto.

Nalin
Re: Password and RH 6.1 [ In reply to ]

> I have come to the conclusion that on a package managed system like RH,
> any software that does not live in a user's own directories, should
> always be built and installed as packages.

As an alternative you can use Stow (http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/).
It's simple to use and lets you avoid the IMHO nightmare of
non-relocatable RPMs. Real nice if you want to install, say GNOME, on an
NFS mounted /usr/local and share it among workstations.

James

->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->---<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<
James Thompson 138 Cardwell Hall Manhattan, Ks 66506 785-532-0561
Kansas State University Department of Mathematics
->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->---<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<
Re: Password and RH 6.1 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:22:53PM -0800, Paul Thomas wrote:

> Jim Knobel said:
>
> >Paul, i think you misunderstand. The OpenSSH RPMs are not provided by
> >Red Hat. They're built by Damien Miller (who also coordinates the
> >non-BSD port of OpenSSH) and are available in the same location you
> >downloaded the OpenSSH source from.
>
> I just figured this out. I apologize, I am new to Red Hat and I
> just don't think to grab an RPM when I need to install something.
>
> >Since Damien builds OpenSSH and uses it on Red Hat Linux 6.1 systems,
> >there must be something funky about either the configuration of your
> >system or the way you configured and compiled OpenSSH. Please help us
> >help you and discover what the differences are.
>
> This is possible. I just tried to install Damien's RPM and get
> the following:
>
> [root@chime src]# rpm -ivh openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
> openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
> libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1

The linux shared libraries from openssl are apparently needed by the
openssh package. So you need to build and install them too, and then
install openssh with

rpm -Uvh --nodeps openssh...

But I think you are better off with installing openssl* rpms instead
of installing the openssl libraries by hand.

After removing your openssl installation, just issue

rpm -Uvh ftp://thermo.stat.ncsu.edu/pub/openssh/files/support/openssl-0.9.4-3.i386.rpm

and possibly

rpm -Uvh ftp://thermo.stat.ncsu.edu/pub/openssh/files/support/openssl-devel-0.9.4-3.i386.rpm

Mate
Re: Password and RH 6.1 [ In reply to ]
Gaaah! Don't use stow. It's old and breaks easily. Use ekpg:

http://encap.cso.uiuc.edu/epkg/

--
jim knoble
jmknoble@pobox.com

På 2000-Mar-30 klokka 08:11:30 -0600 skrivet James Thompson: