-- "My grandpa told me to remember two things in life. Look out
for Number One, and remember your number" - Orville Cogswell
-- http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/dizhao/index.html
Re: Idle time out [ In reply to ]
dzhao1@gl.umbc.edu said:
> My ssh connection times out every 10 minutes or so and I want it to
> keep open for like 3 hours so that I don't have to relogin.

This would normally be a function of the shell/utilties/policy on the
box you are logging into and nothing to do with ssh.

There is a keep-alive function - this I understand is done by putting a
keep-alive on the socket used, and the timeouts cannot be easily
tweaked on OSes I use.

Nigel.
--
[. - Opinions expressed are personal and may not be shared by VData - ]
[ Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]
Re: Idle time out [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the answer. But my telnet session has far longer time out
than the ssh session. And when I check the Secure SSH, they do have such a
IdelTimeout function. The KeepAlive doesn't have much to do with this case
I am afraid.

Re: Idle time out [ In reply to ]
i don't understand what you want.

how could a 'IdleTimeout' option make the ssh session last longer?
OpenSSH does not log out idle users, so 'IdleTimeout' would be
very useless.

turn off 'KeepAlive' if you don't want TCP keep alive packets.

Re: Idle time out [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Markus Friedl wrote:

> i don't understand what you want.
I want that, if I leave my ssh client for a while(2,3 hours), the sshd
will still keep the connection, not like now, when I ssh to my server and
leave, my ssh client always tell me (both client/serve are RH6.0)
"Read from remote host my_ssh_server: Connection reset by peer"
From my network course, that should be the error message when the server
send a RST packet to my client server.

> how could a 'IdleTimeout' option make the ssh session last longer?
I figure that sshd must have some default value like 10 minutes, if
there's not detected client activities going on for that time period,
it will close the connection.
> OpenSSH does not log out idle users, so 'IdleTimeout' would be
> very useless.

> turn off 'KeepAlive' if you don't want TCP keep alive packets.
I turned it off, but still get the same error message.

Re: Idle time out [ In reply to ]
Di Zhao wrote ...

> I want that, if I leave my ssh client for a while(2,3 hours), the sshd
> will still keep the connection, not like now, when I ssh to my server and
> leave, my ssh client always tell me (both client/serve are RH6.0)
> "Read from remote host my_ssh_server: Connection reset by peer"
> >From my network course, that should be the error message when the server
> send a RST packet to my client server.

I've noticed the same timeout behavior as well, but only when connected from
outside the local network. ssh connections between machines on the local
network stay connected until I terminate them. However, when I connect from
a remote network, the connection does get dropped after some amount of time.
However, when this happened, I did not have any spare time to investigate, so
I can't offer any further information at this time.

FWIW, my ssh server is OpenBSD 2.6 with OpenSSH-1.2 while both ssh clients
(local and remote) are Linux 2.2.x with OpenSSH-1.2.2.

--
David Cato
dcato@crunchyfrog.net