Mailing List Archive

Ntopng stop collecting flows
Hello,

We have installed ntopng and nrpobe

The selected config is the following :

1FW device (softflowd) --> export to --> port 2055 (nprobe) --> zmq="tcp://*:2056" --> ntopng tcp://127.0.0.1:2056

I have couple of problem with the install:

## Pb 1 : flow stops to get collected ##

1. upon startup flow get collected "ok" for couple of minutes
2. …then they stop !
3. If I restart the nprobe / ntopng -- they got collected for couple of minutes and stop again!

Maybe It is a licence problem ?
This is not very clear.

## pb 2 : VLAN flow tagging ##

We are trying to classify flows exported from the FW based on the VLAN they originated from.
This feature looks nice and would allow us to have a "per VLAN" vision of the flows

No matter how hard we try, We only got one VLAN (0)
Maybe this is also related to some licence issues…

## Pb 3 : probe licence ##

It is not yet very clear to me if we need one nprobe licence per firewall
…or if It is ok to send all flows to one nprobe

Thanks for your help.

G.B.
Re: Ntopng stop collecting flows [ In reply to ]
Hi

> On 26 Jun 2019, at 12:43, bsd@todoo.biz wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> We have installed ntopng and nrpobe
>
> The selected config is the following :
>
> 1FW device (softflowd) --> export to --> port 2055 (nprobe) --> zmq="tcp://*:2056" --> ntopng tcp://127.0.0.1:2056
>

> I have couple of problem with the install:
>

> ## Pb 1 : flow stops to get collected ##
>
> 1. upon startup flow get collected "ok" for couple of minutes
> 2. …then they stop !
> 3. If I restart the nprobe / ntopng -- they got collected for couple of minutes and stop again!
>
> Maybe It is a licence problem ?
> This is not very clear.

Correct. nProbe tells you the status/validity of the license upon startup. Without license, it will just export the first 25k flows and then stops.

Use nProbe template -T "@NTOPNG@" which also contains VLAN information. Assuming your softflowd is exporting VLANs in the NetFlow, then you'll see them straight into ntopng.

> ## Pb 3 : probe licence ##
>
> It is not yet very clear to me if we need one nprobe licence per firewall
> …or if It is ok to send all flows to one nprobe

nprobe license is per machine and it does not depend on the number of firewalls it's collecting from.

Simone