Mailing List Archive

Is it possible to setup a Linux-based firewall with netfilter/iptables to perform *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION (DPI)* at OSI Layer 7?
Good evening from Singapore,

Is it possible to setup a Linux-based firewall with netfilter/iptables to perform *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION (DPI)* at OSI Layer 7?

Do existing open source firewalls like pfSense, OPNsense, IPFire, ClearOS, VyOS, Smoothwall, Untangle, NG Firewall, ufw, ConfigServer Security, IPCop, Shorewall, Endian Firewall Community, etc etc, support *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION* at OSI Layer 7?

I am using pfSense 2.4.4-p1 Community (virtual appliance) at home, which appears to be the best or top open source firewall in the world at the moment.

Thank you very much for your advice.

-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

Re: Is it possible to setup a Linux-based firewall with netfilter/iptables to perform *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION (DPI)* at OSI Layer 7? [ In reply to ]
Good evening from Singapore,

It seems that I can use the ndpi-netfilter Linux Kernel module from Humberto Juc? (betolj) for DEEP PACKET INSPECTION at OSI Layer 7. I found the following article.

Article: Installing and Configuring ndpi-netfilter for traffic controlling on ubuntu
Date Published: 27 February 2016

But can I use it with the latest Linux Kernel 5.1-rc6?

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Re: Is it possible to setup a Linux-based firewall with netfilter/iptables to perform *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION (DPI)* at OSI Layer 7? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

nEdge can perform L7 inspection and policing, please check out
https://www.ntop.org/products/traffic-analysis/ntopng-edge . Its core
components are the nDPI and ntopng. Please note that we only support
ubuntu 16 and ubuntu 18 for nEdge.

Regards,

Emanuele

Re: Is it possible to setup a Linux-based firewall with netfilter/iptables to perform *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION (DPI)* at OSI Layer 7? [ In reply to ]
Noted with thanks.

Re: Is it possible to setup a Linux-based firewall with netfilter/iptables to perform *DEEP PACKET INSPECTION (DPI)* at OSI Layer 7? [ In reply to ]
Noted with thanks.