Mailing List Archive

Disappearing ntopng menu items
If I log into ntopng, then leave it in the browser for a long time (hours? overnight?), some menu items disappear. For example I no longer see Preferences in the Settings menu, and the Power menu is no longer visible, so I can't access the Logout command.

Logging out and in again fixes this, but the only way to log out is to manually add "logout.lua" to the URL.

I don't think I've seen this behaviour before upgrading to v.3.3.180211, but I also vaguely remember ticking a box to stay logged in recently. I'm not sure if it was ntopng or some other site.

Peter Shute
Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Peter,

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 00:11, Peter Shute <pshute@nuw.org.au> wrote:
>
> If I log into ntopng, then leave it in the browser for a long time (hours? overnight?), some menu items disappear. For example I no longer see Preferences in the Settings menu, and the Power menu is no longer visible, so I can't access the Logout command.
>
> Logging out and in again fixes this, but the only way to log out is to manually add "logout.lua" to the URL.

This is normal due to the expiration of the session you are authenticated with. If you don't want the autologout, please use:

[--disable-autologout|-q] | Disable web logout for inactivity

Simone

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Apologies for the repeat postings. One of our spam filters has suddenly decided everything from this list is spam. I've whitelisted it now, so hopefully that's fixed. I suspect this has happened before when the list has gone quiet, so I should remember to check the archives.

I'll try disabling autologout, but I don't understand the bahaviour. If I try to connect after an ntopng restart, can't see anything until I log in. After autologout, I can still access a lot of things in the gui. And why is there no login button to log back in?

Peter Shute

Peter,

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Peter,

> On 19 Feb 2018, at 22:04, Peter Shute <pshute@nuw.org.au> wrote:
>
> Apologies for the repeat postings. One of our spam filters has suddenly decided everything from this list is spam. I've whitelisted it now, so hopefully that's fixed. I suspect this has happened before when the list has gone quiet, so I should remember to check the archives.
>
> I'll try disabling autologout, but I don't understand the bahaviour. If I try to connect after an ntopng restart, can't see anything until I log in. After autologout, I can still access a lot of things in the gui. And why is there no login button to log back in?

This is normal. Your session is automatically extended when you --disable-autologout. So even if you restart ntopng you will still be authorized to log in. You can click the logout if you want to terminate the session and have the login window displayed.

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
I'm still seeing this problem. I don't want to use --disable-autologout. Once it happens, there's no option in the interface to logout so that I can log in again. The dropdown that normally contains the logout option (looks like a power button) is gone from the top menu. The only way around it is to add "logout.lua" to the URL.

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Peter,

We are unable to reproduce. Please, explain, step by step (briefly), how to reproduce the behavior. Also show the ntopng configuration used, the page with missing menu items, and also check the HTTP reqs/responses (you can use the browser inspector) and check for the presence of cookies.

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
To reproduce it, I log in and leave the browser running. After a while, I don't know how long, I return to the page (usually the dashboard), and find that while I can still do some things, eg change between interfaces, look at charts, etc, I can do no configuration, and logout isn't available. I would have expected that it should present the login prompt. I think it does do that if I close and reopen the browser.

I am attaching a screenshot to show which item disappears, but I don't know if this list accepts attachments. I have just logged it in, but if the problem returns, I will do more screenshots.

How long do I need to wait until it logs out automatically?

Once it has logged out, how do you want me to send the configuration? Is there a file I can send? What else?

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

What browser/ntopng version are you using? Do you have enabled plugins
which may interfere with the gui?

Please perform these tests:

??? - When you experience the problem, do a screenshot. Please open the
javascript inspector of your browser and see if there are errors.
Moreover, if you go into the cookies (e.g. under chrome into Application
-> Cookies), do you have cookies listed?

??? - If you temporary add the --disable-autologout option temporary,
can you still experience the problem?

Please post the result of these tests on out github page
https://github.com/ntop/ntopng into a new issue.

Regards,
Emanuele

On 03/15/2018 09:26 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
> To reproduce it, I log in and leave the browser running. After a while, I don't know how long, I return to the page (usually the dashboard), and find that while I can still do some things, eg change between interfaces, look at charts, etc, I can do no configuration, and logout isn't available. I would have expected that it should present the login prompt. I think it does do that if I close and reopen the browser.
>
> I am attaching a screenshot to show which item disappears, but I don't know if this list accepts attachments. I have just logged it in, but if the problem returns, I will do more screenshots.
>
> How long do I need to wait until it logs out automatically?
>
> Once it has logged out, how do you want me to send the configuration? Is there a file I can send? What else?

Simone wrote:

Peter,

Ntop@listgateway.unipi.it<mailto:Ntop@listgateway.unipi.it>

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The timeout is 12 hours.

Regards,
Emanuele

Re: Disappearing ntopng menu items [ In reply to ]
Thank you, knowing that will be very helpful. I started a new issue here:
https://github.com/ntop/ntopng/issues/1706

I took a screenshot this morning, but forgot to check cookies and javascript inspector. I will update the issue when I've done that.