I'm running ntopng 2.4.170215 - Pro Small Business Edition; all is well and I'm very impressed. My question becomes relevant when I send flows from other devices to ntopng. By other devices I mean physical devices which collect flows locally via their physical interfaces and then export flows to ntopng over the network.

Currently ntopng listens to 2 interfaces which are physically local to the VM where ntopng runs on: one is the localhost and the other is en Ethernet ens32 interface. When I send flows from remote devices the flows data gets "merged" into the ens32 interface as if the flow data was captured there. That of course isn't accurate.

How do I configure more interfaces (and those will all be remote interfaces) show up in the list box (shown below) so that I know where the flow was captured -- by where I mean which physical device reported to flow to ntopng?
Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Hi Boyan
you will be even more impressed if you use the development version of ntopng that implements many more features.

In order to configure new interfaces you can do that using the -i command line flag

Regards Luca

Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Thanks Luca,

Actually adding a new interface wouldn&#39;t do it for me; I am looking for a way to tell which device reported a specific flow. Since I have multiple devices exporting flows to ntopng all of the flow data gets aggregated by ntopng since it arrives at the same interface - the eth0 of the VM where ntopng is running.

However that doesn&#39;t mean that most of the flows were captured at that interface -- the flows were reported by other devices and the traffic just arrive at the same interface of ntopng. So is there way to tell who reported a flow by looking at the flow record on the dashboard?

I can&#39;t find a place which shows that? Certainly ntopng has that information somewhere?

Thank you

~B

On April 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Luca Deri &#60;deri@ntop.org&#62; wrote:

Hi Boyanyou will be even more impressed if you use the development version of ntopng that implements many more features.
In order to configure new interfaces you can do that using the -i command line flag
Regards Luca
On 15 Apr 2017, at 20:56, Boyan Biandov &#60;boyan.biandov@ikipple.com&#62; wrote:

Hi everyone,

I&#39;m running ntopng&#160;2.4.170215 - Pro Small Business Edition; all is well and I&#39;m very impressed. My question becomes relevant when I send flows from other devices to ntopng. By other devices I mean physical devices which collect flows locally via their physical interfaces and then export flows to ntopng over the network.

Currently ntopng listens to 2 interfaces which are physically local to the VM where ntopng runs on: one is the localhost and the other is en Ethernet ens32 interface. When I send flows from remote devices the flows data gets &#34;merged&#34; into the ens32 interface as if the flow data was&#160;captured&#160;there. That of course isn&#39;t accurate.

How do I configure more interfaces (and those will all be remote interfaces) show up in the list box (shown below) so that I know where the flow was captured -- by where I mean which physical device reported to flow to ntopng?

&#60;ntopng.png&#62;

&#160;
Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Hi Boyan,
please check out the "Dynamic Flow Collection Interfaces" option into
the ntopng advanced preferences.

If you set the preference to "Probe IP Address", ntopng will create
virtual interfaces to match the remote devices.

Regards,
Emanuele

Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Hi&#160;Emanuele, I can&#39;t find &#34;ntopng advanced preferences&#34;? I&#39;m using nBox. I looked at configuration both in nBox and in ntopng and all I see is &#34;run-time preferences&#34;. Do I need to add cli parameters to the ntopng command line for the &#34;probe IP address&#34; that you suggested?&#160;Thank you
On April 18, 2017 at 2:22 AM Emanuele Faranda &#60;faranda@ntop.org&#62; wrote:

Hi Boyan,
please check out the &#34;Dynamic Flow Collection Interfaces&#34; option into the ntopng advanced preferences.

If you set the preference to &#34;Probe IP Address&#34;, ntopng will create virtual interfaces to match the remote devices.

Regards,
Emanuele
Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Boyan,

The dynamic interfaces creation feature is only available in the latest dev
version. Please, move to ntopng 2.5.

Regards,
Simone

Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Thanks Simone,

I just upgraded using the apt-get repo (running LTS 16.04) but when I changed following the upgrade ntopng still says&#160;2.4.170215

My OS is Debian stretch/sid [x86_64][Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS] - 64 bit

Thanks

~b

Boyan,&#160;
Re: Need some conceptual guidance with sending flows to ntopng [ In reply to ]
Boyan,

You should uninstall package apt-ntop-stable and then follow the
instructions at http://packages.ntop.org/apt/ to move to the dev release.