Mailing List Archive

Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets
Hello,

We are using the version of nprobe to work with Kentik (nprobes) and we are seeing packets being reported incorrectly when using sampling.

$sudo nprobe -v

Welcome to nProbe v.7.5.170306 (r5675) for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Copyright 2002-17 ntop.org

Build OS: CentOS release 6.8 (Final)

Example script being used:

-q=A.A.A.A:6650

-n=X.X.X.X:9995

-n=Y.Y.Y.Y:2056

-V=5

-a=

-i=myri1-1

-S=160:1

-t=60

--if-networks=@/etc/cento/networks

-b=1

-Q=1

-u=1

--dump-stats=/var/log/nprobe/myri1-1-0_flows_stats.txt

With the above, when I perform a controlled bandwidth test using a traffic generator, the packets per second being reported to Kentik is roughly 350K. The traffic generator is sending 2140pps of udp packets with 1460 byte payloads at a payload rate of 25 Mbps, so 25.9 Mbps with IP header.

We also sent the same data to another collector at the same time, and we saw exact same issue in the nfacctd data.

We saw that when we changed the sample rate, the pps was multiplied by that value, so in this case 160x (2140x160=342,400).

[cid:image002.jpg@01D29670.6A8C9F70]

[cid:image003.jpg@01D29670.6A8C9F70]

This is also evident in the attached png image of wireshark output from a captured packet.

[cid:image001.png@01D2966F.6430ED30]

Can you please advise if this is a bug, and if so, the best course of action (use a previous version?), or if I am doing something wrong.

I also attached the images in case they are stripped out.

Kind regards,

Jesse
Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Anything? ...

[...]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D297D4.4428A120]

[cid:image003.jpg@01D297D4.4428A120]

This is also evident in the attached png image of wireshark output from a captured packet.

[cid:image004.png@01D297D4.4428A120]

Re: Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Good morning (depending on where you are),

We are still waiting for a response to this. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong? Or has there been an update with a fix?

Kind regards,

Jesse

[...]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2A790.1C5E0A60]

[cid:image003.jpg@01D2A790.1C5E0A60]

This is also evident in the attached png image of wireshark output from a captured packet.

[cid:image004.png@01D2A790.1C5E0A60]

Re: Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Jesse,
I have modified this but I have forgot to reply, my fault.

Please download the latest nprobe and it will work. In the new release
traffic upscale (i.e. x 160 multiplication) is not performed unless you
use --upscale-traffic

Regards Luca

Re: Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Luca,

Thank you very much. I performed the nightly update but now I can't start it as a daemon because it removed /etc/init.d/nprobe and didn't add it back.

Welcome to nProbe v.7.5.170329 (r5697) for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Can you please add it back?

[...]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2A878.2297EED0]

[cid:image003.jpg@01D2A878.2297EED0]

This is also evident in the attached png image of wireshark output from a captured packet.

[cid:image004.png@01D2A878.2297EED0]

Re: Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Jesse,
this change was requested by Kentik

Luca

Re: Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Luca,

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Jesse

[...]

[cid:image001.jpg@01D2A933.599EEEE0]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2A933.599EEEE0]

This is also evident in the attached png image of wireshark output from a captured packet.

[cid:image003.png@01D2A933.599EEEE0]

Re: Kentik nprobes sampling reporting excessive packets [ In reply to ]
Luca,