Mailing List Archive

ntopng v.2.4.160818 not changing to user when launching
v.2.4.160818 [Professional Edition]
GIT rev: 2.4-stable:d786da67470dd879c5bbe13d38a7f95f2b598626:20160818
Pro rev: r641
System Id: 3BB0D75C7A06AB13
Built on: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

I am spawning 3 different ntopng instances to monitor different network
segments on different ethernet adapters. When launching ntopng it is
occasionally not running as the user specified via --user.

Launching ntopng via: ntopng /etc/ntopng/this.ntopng.conf

Launching using the following config:

--daemon
--community
--http-port 15000
--dns-mode 0
--interface eth1
--disable-login 1
--data-dir /opt/ntopng/this
--disable-alerts
--user ntopng
--pid /var/run/this.ntopng.pid
--disable-autologout
--disable-host-persistency
--sticky-hosts none

Occasionally it will run as user ntopng and function properly. When it
doesn't it launches as root and will not function. I will have to
manually kill the proc and relaunch a few times before it will finally
run as user ntopng.

This issue surfaced when updating from a 2015 community build to 2.4.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas
Re: ntopng v.2.4.160818 not changing to user when launching [ In reply to ]
On 2016-08-26 15:39, ntop@funkpickle.com wrote:
> v.2.4.160818 [Professional Edition]
> GIT rev: 2.4-stable:d786da67470dd879c5bbe13d38a7f95f2b598626:20160818
> Pro rev: r641
> System Id: 3BB0D75C7A06AB13
> Built on: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
>
> I am spawning 3 different ntopng instances to monitor different
> network segments on different ethernet adapters. When launching ntopng
> it is occasionally not running as the user specified via --user.
>
> Launching ntopng via: ntopng /etc/ntopng/this.ntopng.conf
>
> Launching using the following config:
>
> --daemon
> --community
> --http-port 15000
> --dns-mode 0
> --interface eth1
> --disable-login 1
> --data-dir /opt/ntopng/this
> --disable-alerts
> --user ntopng
> --pid /var/run/this.ntopng.pid
> --disable-autologout
> --disable-host-persistency
> --sticky-hosts none
>
> Occasionally it will run as user ntopng and function properly. When it
> doesn't it launches as root and will not function. I will have to
> manually kill the proc and relaunch a few times before it will finally
> run as user ntopng.
>
> This issue surfaced when updating from a 2015 community build to 2.4.
>
> Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on how to resolve?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nicholas

Three instances..wow. Any reason you're not running just one instance
to monitor all three? I use the below cli options for two:

-i eth0 -i ppp0 -i view:eth0,ppp0

which allows me three "interfaces" to view in ntop, eth0, ppp0, and an
aggregate of both. I realize this doesn't address your question at all,
but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways.

James
Re: ntopng v.2.4.160818 not changing to user when launching [ In reply to ]
Hi,

As already suggested by James, using a single instance is recommended to
monitor multiple interfaces on the same box. ntopng is also multi-tenant so
you have the option to create users and associate interfaces and networks
to them. In this way you can create non-privileged users that don't have
access to all the traffic.

However, if you still want to run multiple instances on the same box, you
must use for each instance a different:
- redis database id
- data dir
- http port
- pid file

or things will be messed up...

simone

Re: ntopng v.2.4.160818 not changing to user when launching [ In reply to ]
Simone/James,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I may have inadvertently steered the conversation away from the core
issue by omitting some info.

When launching ntopng, regardless of launching a single instance or
multiple instances, the core issue is that the process does not
consistently launch as a specific user (instead of nobody).

I have adjusted the config to remove the specific user option and launch
as nobody instead. After doing a recursive chown of the ntopng data
folders, this appears to have resolved my issue of ntopng launching in a
hung state (in single and multiple instance). ntopng now launches as
nobody, and folders/files are owned nobody:nogroup.

To answer the why: I'm using apache in front of ntopng to allow for LDAP
authentication (and multi-tenant). When two users were simultaneously
using a single instance of ntopng to look at different segments
(interfaces), the traffic would default to the last interface selected
by either user. This was causing tug-o-wars between different users
looking at different segments. This is probably due to my using apache
in front of ntopng.

The workaround I came up with was to launch multiple instances to avoid
tug-o-war.

I'll need to take another look at ntopng's built in multi-tenant
options. Does it natively support LDAP authentication? When multiple
users login, does it keep the interface selected per user?

Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

-Nicholas

Re: ntopng v.2.4.160818 not changing to user when launching [ In reply to ]
Hi

Thanks for clarifying. see below

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM, <ntop@funkpickle.com> wrote:

> Simone/James,
>
> Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
>
> I may have inadvertently steered the conversation away from the core issue
> by omitting some info.
>
> When launching ntopng, regardless of launching a single instance or
> multiple instances, the core issue is that the process does not
> consistently launch as a specific user (instead of nobody).
>
> I have adjusted the config to remove the specific user option and launch
> as nobody instead. After doing a recursive chown of the ntopng data
> folders, this appears to have resolved my issue of ntopng launching in a
> hung state (in single and multiple instance). ntopng now launches as
> nobody, and folders/files are owned nobody:nogroup.
>
> To answer the why: I'm using apache in front of ntopng to allow for LDAP
> authentication (and multi-tenant). When two users were simultaneously using
> a single instance of ntopng to look at different segments (interfaces), the
> traffic would default to the last interface selected by either user. This
> was causing tug-o-wars between different users looking at different
> segments. This is probably due to my using apache in front of ntopng.
>
> The workaround I came up with was to launch multiple instances to avoid
> tug-o-war.
>
> I'll need to take another look at ntopng's built in multi-tenant options.
> Does it natively support LDAP authentication?

yes, it does support LDAP authentication.

> When multiple users login, does it keep the interface selected per user?

yes, selected interface should be per user. If that is not the case, then
there may be a bug somewhere. In that case, please post an issue on our
github tracker.

> Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Thank you