Mailing List Archive

question on localhost stats
Hi,

when looking at throughput on our hosts we have the following:
- the switch throughput collected via cricket trending software (5 min average) is approx 42Mbps

- ntop shows similar figures on the thrpt graph.
- intop shows throughput figures of about 10 times as much or greater (420Mbps +) for it's throughput measurements

looking at the traffic recieved breakdown on ntop, the host is shown as the maximum throughput with approx 300+ Mbps.

what I am curious about is whether this traffic ever leaves the host, or if it consists of traffic which shows up as coming from the host to itself (i.e. similar to the loopback).

If this is not clear let me know and I'll try to reword it.
I'm curious as intop is a valuable program, but I am unsure of why the descrepency is present.

thanks for your time.

Regards

David Rhodes

Network Operations Centre Co-ordinator