Mailing List Archive

Problem with intop on Solaris 2.8 (Sparc)
Hi,

Attached are three files, a compressed coredump file (gunzips to 70 meg), a
screendump of the output
from the session running intop, and a copy of the output from the make.

I retrieved the snapshot of the sourcecode from the 24/5/01. I installed
the software on a linux box using
the following steps 1) ./configure 2) make 3)make install

This installation worked fine.

I then tried to install the same source code on our Sun Box (E250) running
solaris 2.8. In order to do this
I installed the latest version of libpcap, gdbm, bison, flex, gcc, and
make. After doing this I did the following
steps 1)./configure 2) /usr/local/bin/make (location of the gnu make
util) 3) /usr/local/bin/make install.

Everything seemed to compile and install properly. ntop runs fine and
performs as expected. Intop crashes
with a bus error (then coredump) whenever it is started.

One thing that I noticed was that there was a warning during the make
saying that I did not have shared versions
of pcap or gdbm available. I received the same warning on Linux but only
for pcap. I was unable to track down
what was causing this error. (if you do a search for Warning in the script
capture of the make you will find the error)

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated, as your program
would mean that we could continue
using squid as a proxy server ( instead of ms proxy server).

If I have not included enough detail please let me know.

Kind Regards

Michael Anderson

Unix / Database Systems Administrator
Office of State Revenue
Brisbane, Queensland

(See attached file: screendump)(See attached file: core.gz)(See attached
file: script_of_config_and_make)
Re: Problem with intop on Solaris 2.8 (Sparc) [ In reply to ]
ATTENTION:

The Mailer-Daemon at doladns successfully received email from you
on Tue, 29 May 2001 14:09:04 +1000 with the subject: [Ntop] Problem with intop on Solaris 2.8 (Sparc)

However, it has found evidence of something that it believes to be a virus.

As a result, your email was NOT delivered to the recipient.

If you believe this to be a mistake, please email postmaster@doladns

Unless this is the case, please do not respond to this mail, it is an auto reply
RE: Problem with intop on Solaris 2.8 (Sparc) [ In reply to ]
Michael,
I got INTOP never to work on Solaris 8 (Sparc and Intel), also not for
ntop-1.3.1 from www.sunfreeware.com
I tested INTOP of different cvs versions but
INTOP is still not working ,
after starting INTOP
message : Initializing ntop engine... Please wait
it gives : Segmentation Fault - core dumped.

I use now ntop-beta-2.0 , and I had this problem , you also ? :
1) There is something wrong with : make install.

If I run ntop from the directory where I compiled it, it starts ok the
plugin (from
./plugins ) :
23/May/2001:16:25:43 Welcome to Pep (Perl embedded Plugin) (c) 2000 R.
Carbone <rocco@ntop.org>.

If I start it from anywhere ( /usr/local/bin in PATH) it gives error :
23/May/2001:16:21:35 WARNING: unable to load
plugin'/usr/local/lib/ntop/plugins/libpep.so'
[.ld.so.1: ./ntop: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/lib/ntop/plugins/libpep.so: symbol perl_destruct: referenced
symbol not found]

Jac