/var/tmp/ntopng/../activities/...

What exactly is logged into this folder?

Is there a way to change the logging folder to another partition?

Is there a way to automatically remove "old" files?

ntopng version: v.3.1.170719
Built on: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Cheers
Robert
Re: ntopng activities log [ In reply to ]
Dear Robert,

> On 19 Jul 2017, at 16:08, Finze, Robert <robert.finze@uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just had a crash of ntopng.
> The cause of which was that there were no free inodes on the root partition.

I did some tests with a full file system but was unable to reproduce the crash. Are you able to use gdb to point me to the exact point that causes the crash?

> After looking further into this, I've found that there are many files (a
> couple million) in this folder:
> /var/tmp/ntopng/../activities/...
>
> What exactly is logged into this folder?

Those files (that are actually small) contain information required to print host activity heat maps. Anyway, we are discussing a rework of the current implementation.

> Is there a way to change the logging folder to another partition?

You can change the ntopng data dir with

[--data-dir|-d] <path> | Data directory (must be writable).
| Default: /var/tmp/ntopng

Regards,
Simone

Re: ntopng activities log [ In reply to ]
Hi Simone,

thanks for the answer.
See comments inline.

On 20.07.2017 12:00, ntop-misc-request@listgateway.unipi.it wrote:

> Message: 1 Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 10:39:21 +0200 From: Simone
> Mainardi <mainardi@ntop.org> To: ntop-misc@listgateway.unipi.it
> Subject: Re: [Ntop-misc] ntopng activities log Message-ID:
> <BAC8AD52-2C13-4D94-BF17-5B2813DCC2F6@ntop.org> Content-Type:
> text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Dear Robert,
>

>> On 19 Jul 2017, at 16:08, Finze, Robert
>> <robert.finze@uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just had a crash of ntopng. The cause of which was that there
>> were no free inodes on the root partition.
>
> I did some tests with a full file system but was unable to reproduce
> the crash. Are you able to use gdb to point me to the exact point
> that causes the crash?

"Crash" would be the wrong term here. Sorry.
The application did hang and not respond anymore.
It did receive the SIGINT (ctrl+c) and showed the message "
[main.cpp:43] Shutting down..."
but I does not shutdown clean, it does not do anything else but showing
this message.

I've tried to clean up the filesystem to free inodes. So I can't
reproduce it right now.
The last error log I've got was from redis:
"ERROR: MISCONF Redis is configured to save RDB snapshots, but is
currently not able to persist on disk. Commands that may modify the data
set are disabled. Please check Redis logs for details about the error."

The problem was not that the file system has run out of space, but that
there are no free inodes.
I've got plenty of diskspace (~25GB) but had 0 free inodes (5.5M used,
100%).
Since it's not possible to increase the inode count I would have to
reformat the root partition.

>> After looking further into this, I've found that there are many
>> files (a couple million) in this folder:
>> /var/tmp/ntopng/../activities/...
>>
>> What exactly is logged into this folder?
>
> Those files (that are actually small) contain information required to
> print host activity heat maps. Anyway, we are discussing a rework of
> the current implementation.
>

>> Is there a way to change the logging folder to another partition?
>
> You can change the ntopng data dir with
>
> [--data-dir|-d] <path> | Data directory (must be
> writable). | Default: /var/tmp/ntopng

I will move the data dir to another partition and see how long that
lasts (right now 30M free inodes). Thanks!

Cheers
Robert