Mailing List Archive

nprobe conditional forward to multiple collectors
Hi All:

We have an interesting use case for Nprobe. We are taking a SPAN port of
traffic with about 20 VLANs, but each VLAN (network) has a dedicated
collector. In other words, nprobe has to forward to multiple collectors
based on the VLAN ID. This feature does not seem to be possible based on
the manual. So I'm thinking about the following approaches instead:

(1) Have multiple VLAN interfaces defined on linux, each with an instant of
Nprobe listening with a dedicate collector. I would think this case is not
particularly ideal from a performance stand point (20 nprobe sessions on a
4 core system)

(2) One instance of Nprobe with 1 dummy local collector, but instead of a
collector, its an application that is doing vlan based forwarding. The
application will be something similar to the one of the sample apps in
PF_RING.

I would be glad to get feedback or ideas from anyone on this thread.

Much Thanks
Morgan Yang