Mailing List Archive

fanout limits
Hi Guys, What is the rule of thumb when determining the maximum amount of fan out interfaces (when using zfanout_ipc) ? Is it based on bandwidth, the hw specs or a combination of both ? Thanks in advance, Moshe
Re: fanout limits [ In reply to ]
Hi Moshe
it really depends on several factors, including but not limited to traffic rate (pps), bandwidth, hw specs,
I need to know more about your traffic, hw configuration and what are you trying to do in order to help you.

Best Regards
Alfredo

Re: fanout limits [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo,

I'm using the ixgbe driver with about 2.5M pps. What I'd like to do is clone the traffic so I can run multiple tcpdump instances, each with a different bpf, and store the output to a different pcap file, whose name is determined by the bpf in use. Is there a limit on the amount of virtual interfaces I can create in this scenario ? Thanks again ! Moshe

Re: fanout limits [ In reply to ]
Hi Moshe
there is a limit of 32 virtual interfaces when you use the fanout, because
of the API which is using a 32-bit mask to select the egress queues.

Alfredo

Re: fanout limits [ In reply to ]
Hi Again Alfredo,

What about performance considerations ? Is creating 32 interfaces creating substantial CPU / memory ohverhead, as opposed to creating only several virtual fanout interfaces ? I'm refering to the creation of the interfaces only... not consuming the traffic by other processes. Thanks again, Moshe

Re: fanout limits [ In reply to ]
Hi Moshe
2.5Mpps should not be a big deal even if you have many queues, just pay attention to dedicate one core to the fanout thread.
As of idle queues (with no consumers) they should not add any significant overhead until you use them.

Alfredo

Re: fanout limits [ In reply to ]
Thank you Alfredo !