Was my key mistake in installing nbox? Can I safely install ntopng after
rebuilding my machine and not have it wipe out my OS?
thanks,
Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
Kevin
for the nBox a factory reset means to set things like IP address etc. not to wipe the OS. Pur tools are just packages not an OS, so you do noted to modify the OS

Regard Luca

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
After running this:

- apt-get install ntopng pfring nprobe ntopng-data n2disk nbox

and running a Factory Reset in the nbox GUI,
my root file system was wiped out and my existing /home folders were gone
and /etc/passwd was replaced.

I'd really like to not have that happen when I try again to instal ntop.
Can anyone clue me in on which of those packages is deadly to my existing
Ubuntu server?
Thanks!

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
Luca, your reply is complete BullSH*T

Following up on this thread, the exact same thing happened to me!

The factory default script provided by one of these packages wiped out all
/home folders and /var/log.

Someone needs to fix this.

After running the apt-get install, the instructions state
"IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

You can now point your browser to https://localhost

The default user is nbox with password nbox

Please run a factory reset by GUI (System -> Factory Reset )

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT"

After you do this, you will completely screw up your system.

Looking at the CGI/HTML code, that button runs /usr/local/bin/factory_reset

This script looks like something NTOP installed, since it was created the
same time I did my apt-get install of ntopng/nbox/etc.

Inside that script, there are several HIGHLY DESTRUCTIVE commands that not
only reset your NIC configuration, but also:

#
# Delete all users and reset the root passwod
#
/bin/rm -rf /root/* /root/.[a-Z]* /root/.[0-9]*

for USER in `cd /home; /bin/ls -1`
do
echo "Removing user $USER..."
userdel -f -r $USER
done

# system cleanup
find /var/log/ -type f -exec /bin/rm {} ';'

find / -type f -name "*~" | xargs rm -f

rm -f /root/.ssh/known_hosts
rm -f /root/.bash_history

WTF is it completely wiping out all of our settings.

This completely wiped out all user accounts and just left the new nbox and
n2disk user accounts.

I checked my /etc/shadow file any only two accounts remained: nbox, n2disk

--Highly Annoyed NTOP User

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Luca Deri <deri at ntop.org

>* Kevin
*>* for the nBox a factory reset means to set things like IP address etc. not
*>* to wipe the OS. Pur tools are just packages not an OS, so you do noted to
*>* modify the OS
*>>* Regard Luca
*>>* > On 09 May 2016, at 22:53, Kevin Kleinfelter <ntop at
kleinfelter.com
<http://listgateway.unipi.it/mailman/listinfo/ntop-misc>>
*>* wrote:
*>* >
*>* > I didn't RTFM closely enough. I installed ntopng and nbox. It said to
*>* run a Factory Reset, so I ran a Factory Reset. I wasn't planning on wiping
*>* out my old OS, but I did.
*>* >
*>* > I'd like to not repeat that mistake, but I'd also like to get all the
*>* goodness of web-based analysis of rflow data.
*>* >
*>* > Was my key mistake in installing nbox? Can I safely install ntopng
*>* after rebuilding my machine and not have it wipe out my OS?
*>* > thanks,
*>* >
*>* > _______________________________________________
*>* > Ntop-misc mailing list
*>* > Ntop-misc at listgateway.unipi.it
*>>* _______________________________________________
*>* Ntop-misc mailing list
*>* Ntop-misc at listgateway.unipi.it
*>-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
Dear annoyed user,
the nbox is a physical probe that people build using our tools and our GUI (i.e. the nbox package). It is not designed to be installed on an existing computer with users etc but to replicate a physical probe using commodity hardware like those we have on our website. The script factory reset that you have executed resets the nbox to its initial state, similar to what happens with routers etc.

So what to expect for a factory reset? In our understanding we reset the nbox to the initial state, but we do not wipe the OS (Linux is still there), just reset system to the initial state IP etc. including removing users because they are not part of the nBox hardware probe.

I am sorry if you have deleted your users, but on the other hand ntop is the factory so I believe we should be free to decide what factory means, and you have been warned before doing that

We’ve added an extra warning in addition to the one that is already exiting to warn you. Packages are currently being rebuilt.

Regards Luca

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
I appreciate the quick response, however...

When you install any software package on a server and do "factory reset" of
the software, you would expect it to reset JUST itself, not the entire
server where the package was installed.

I have never seen any installed application on Windows or Linux that ever
wipes out all user folders and logfiles when you ask the program to repair
or reset itself.

It's one thing when you install the application from a USB or CD and it
wipes the entire system before installing itself (like pfSense or
m0m0wall), but not when you have an existing, running server and you are
just doing an apt-get install.

You stated in your reply below that it just resets the IP address "etc".
It does quite a bit more than just reset the IP.

It should be made a little more clear what exactly the "Factory Reset"
option is doing to include wiping out /root and all /home user folders!

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
Thank you Luca and all the people at ntop for the time you spend on these
"free" applications and programs, AND for making them available in package
form...

;)

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/2016 11:02 PM, Avery Rozar wrote:
> Thank you Luca and all the people at ntop for the time you spend on
> these "free" applications and programs, AND for making them available
> in package form...

What do you mean exactly? nBox is available in source format (so you can
inspect what we do) at no cost, and it's packaged as all the other sw we
make.

We can discuss if factory reset is something different than what you
think, but this has nothing to do with these arguments. If you want to
move to the next level, stop complaining and start contributing by
improving what we have done.

> ;)
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Annoyed User
> <annoyedntopuser@gmail.com <mailto:annoyedntopuser@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I appreciate the quick response, however...
>
> When you install any software package on a server and do "factory
> reset" of the software, you would expect it to reset JUST itself,
> not the entire server where the package was installed.
>
> I have never seen any installed application on Windows or Linux
> that ever wipes out all user folders and logfiles when you ask the
> program to repair or reset itself.
>
> It's one thing when you install the application from a USB or CD
> and it wipes the entire system before installing itself (like
> pfSense or m0m0wall), but not when you have an existing, running
> server and you are just doing an apt-get install.
>
> You stated in your reply below that it just resets the IP address
> "etc". It does quite a bit more than just reset the IP.
>
> It should be made a little more clear what exactly the "Factory
> Reset" option is doing to include wiping out /root and all /home user

This is what we have done yesterday after you reported the issue. Please
report if it's now enough.

Luca

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
Luca, I was just saying thank you because Annoyed User is being a jerk and
complaining about software that you guys are offering at no cost.

Re: Ouch! Wiped Out My Old OS [ In reply to ]
+1

When I have tested ntop initially, I also did install nbox package by mistake, and I did try the 'Factory Reset' feature.

I lost some config files in the process (specific ntop / nprobe configuration, etc).
But after reading the doc, I have considered myself as fully responsible of this issue, I slapped myself with a 500lb Unix manual before starting again.