can i use the zbalance_ipc as a load balancer application to distribute the load across different instances of snort IPS .

Regrads,

Madhu
Re: Zbalance_ipc as a Load balance for snort [ In reply to ]
Hi Madhu
please use RSS for distributing the load in IPS mode as described here:
https://github.com/ntop/PF_RING/blob/dev/userland/snort/pfring-daq-module-zc/README.1st

zbalance_ipc is not supported in the pfring-daq-module-zc at the moment.

Alfredo

Re: Zbalance_ipc as a Load balance for snort [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo

I have a requirement like
assume that there are 4 instances of snort IPS running with different rules on different cores,
now i have distribute packets across multiple instances of snort on the type of packet which i receive at load balancer . I tried to implement this scenario with the zbalance_ipc for the packet distribution (at last i came to know that its not possible to do it with zbalance_ipc). In earlier mail as you suggested to use RSS for distribution load across multiple instances of snort,But I want to distribute the load depending on type of packet. Is there a way to do it using the PF_RING.

Reards
Madhu
________________________________
please use RSS for distributing the load in IPS mode as described here:
https://github.com/ntop/PF_RING/blob/dev/userland/snort/pfring-daq-module-zc/README.1st
[https://avatars2.githubusercontent.com/u/12014789?v=3&s=400]<https://github.com/ntop/PF_RING/blob/dev/userland/snort/pfring-daq-module-zc/README.1st>

ntop/PF_RING<https://github.com/ntop/PF_RING/blob/dev/userland/snort/pfring-daq-module-zc/README.1st>
github.com
PF_RING - High-speed packet processing framework

zbalance_ipc is not supported in the pfring-daq-module-zc at the moment.

Alfredo

Hi,

Re: Zbalance_ipc as a Load balance for snort [ In reply to ]
Hi Madhu
pfring-daq-module-zc requires some extensions in order to support IPS mode in combination with zbalance_ipc,
at the moment it is not able to attach to zbalance_ipc and recv/forward traffic from/to queues in IPS mode.

Alfredo

Re: Zbalance_ipc as a Load balance for snort [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo

Is the a way to distribute the load depending on the packets which i am receiving to different instances of snort IPS.

________________________________

github.com<http://github.com/>

Re: Zbalance_ipc as a Load balance for snort [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo

Is the a way to distribute the load depending on the packets types which i am receiving to different instances of snort IPS.

Regards
Madhu

Re: Zbalance_ipc as a Load balance for snort [ In reply to ]
Hi Madhu
this is not possible with RSS, thus it is not possible in IPS mode at the moment,
in order to to that you need extensions to pfring-daq-module-zc to work with zbalance_ipc in IPS mode as I said.
This feature will be added as soon as possible, we have other high priority stuff in the roadmap atm, please let
us know if you are willing to fund the development, in this case we can allocate some engineer.

Alfredo

>>> Madhu