Mailing List Archive

ring 2.1 info
Hi all,

Luca very nice job in the changes and ease of installation with the new release! So far Ive tested on the Debian 2.4.26 kernel. The previous problem of locking up the system has been fixed. I will test on the other platforms available to me and on the newer kernel and let you know if everything is ok.

Pcount seems to run fine and counts the correct number of packets. When I ran snort though its not detecting the traffic accurately. It is reporting all traffic to be 'other' meaning that its not recognizing tcp,udp, &etc traffic correctly.

Any Ideas?

-- J --

In regards to Vincent,

The new release should have fixed that problem like Luca said. In the previous 2.0 version you could have gone into the linux_kernel/net/core/ directory and modified the makefile to include the export object dev.o. dev.c is where the symbol ring_handler is exported.

-- J --

-- snip Vincent email --
I just tested to compile ring2.1 on a kernel 2.6.5 + RTIRQ, and I got
this error
when I install the kernel modules:

WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.5/kernel/net/ring/ring.ko needs unknown symbol
set_ring_handler

After the reboot, when I tries to load the module, I got the same error in
dmesg:

ring: Unknown symbol set_ring_handler

Thanx for the help

Vincent
-- end snip --
Re: ring 2.1 info [ In reply to ]
Jeff Blake wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Luca very nice job in the changes and ease of installation with the new release! So far Ive tested on the Debian 2.4.26 kernel. The previous problem of locking up the system has been fixed. I will test on the other platforms available to me and on the newer kernel and let you know if everything is ok.

Thanks.

>Pcount seems to run fine and counts the correct number of packets. When I ran snort though its not detecting the traffic accurately. It is reporting all traffic to be 'other' meaning that its not recognizing tcp,udp, &etc traffic correctly.

I will look at the problem.

Cheers, Luca