Mailing List Archive

Dreamhost MySQL outage?
It could be something else, but one of our sites is down because MySQL endpoint is unresponsive, and attempting to login to contact them panel.dreamhost.com has the same problem (gives either 503 or times out).
Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
cloudflare is having issues again (https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/) --
probably unrelated but ::shrug::

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
All my sites, hosted on one of their VPSes is down hard. I can't SSH in,
and it's not responding to pings. According to their status page, their
data center on Portland is down hard:
https://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
Flexential PDX02 is entirely down right now. Full power outage.
--
Tom Strickx
Principal Network Engineer

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
We're in Flexential PDX02, I have guys on-site now.

Looks like they lost utility, switched to generator, and then generator
failed (not clear on scope of Gen failure yet). Some utility power is back,
so recovery is in progress for some portion of the site. I still have ~70
racks without power....but things are coming back to life slowly.

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
That means a series of parallel gens failed “all together”. The RFO for
this is going to be uncomfortable.

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
I was told it was the transfer switches, not the gensets.
But waiting for the RFO
Sent from my iPhone

?

https://www.dreamhoststatus.com/"]https://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 7:27?AM Max Leonard via Outages <outages@outages.org> wrote:
cloudflare is having issues again (https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/"]https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/) -- probably unrelated but ::shrug::
On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 7:16?AM James Lawrie via Outages <outages@outages.org> wrote:
It could be something else, but one of our sites is down because MySQL endpoint is unresponsive, and attempting to login to contact them http://panel.dreamhost.com"]panel.dreamhost.com has the same problem (gives either 503 or times out).
Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
The RFO is irrelevant. The damage is done. Maybe there are questions? Most
important is when you got back in business. The rest is an almost total
waste of time. The public stuff will be image oriented. It has to be.
Privately, you all may get more mileage. Contractually? If you know you
know. Many can/should/will get compensation for the damage. I would.
Whether credits or benefits at renewal time. This may be worth exploiting
as a customer. After all, these aren't supposed to go down. Hope it never
happens to (me)! If it does, this is the script.

- How did all generators fail together?
- How did all transfer switches fail to shift from utility to generator
together?
- How did all the UPS fail all together?
- Why did the facility come back in pieces?
- Are you sure you're really an N+ facility and not an N facility? Show
me. Sign new SLA
- Why did it take an hour to restore "any" power?
- How will this not happen again?
- How do you plan to make me whole?

They know at the end of the day this sucks. And they are embarrassed. They
really do care. Bunch of good people. However, who's leaving customer wise?
That's calculus. Answer? Almost none of you. :)

YMMV

-M<

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
On 11/3/23 5:27 PM, Martin Hannigan via Outages wrote:
> Maybe there are questions?

https://blog.cloudflare.com/post-mortem-on-cloudflare-control-plane-and-analytics-outage/

That has some info.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net

Re: Dreamhost MySQL outage? [ In reply to ]
The Internet is so fragile.