Mailing List Archive

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI
Are these alerts queued up for later delivery if a device is off-line, out of range, or connected to a Wi-Fi calling network (where these types of cellular signals are not relayed?)

If so, how long are they stored before being purged from the system? 1 hour? 24 hours?

-Brad

—Sent from my iPhone

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 Oct 2023, Chapman, Brad (NBCUniversal) via Outages wrote:
> Are these alerts queued up for later delivery if a device is off-line, out of range, or connected to a Wi-Fi calling network (where these types of cellular signals are not relayed?)
>
> If so, how long are they stored before being purged from the system? 1 hour? 24 hours?

WEA/CMAS are not queued. WEA/CMAS are re-broadcast by carrier towers
multiple times during the valid time (determined by the sender) over
the control channel. In this case, the valid time was 30 minutes.

There is no record in the carrier network which devices received a WEA
broadcast. If you turn your device (off and) on later, during the valid
period, it may receive a tower re-broadcast (or not, radio waves are not
deterministic). Each WEA/CMAS messages have a carrier-specific short
serial number. The mobile device is responsible for detecting duplicate
transmissions (using the short serial number), and not re-alerting for
previous alerts. In annoying situations, if your phone roams between
different carriers, the carrier short serial numbers may not match
causing duplicate alerts.

The alert cache is flushed when you turn you phone off, so it won't detect
old duplicates when turned on again.

SMS Text are different.

SMS Text messages are queued in the carrier network, when you phone comes
back online it makes a point-to-point data request for queued messages.
The carrier keeps a log of SMS Texts, when & where sent, when &
where received
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
I had wondered about the delays yesterday. One of my user's phones went off
almost two hours after the window.

Butch Wilson
Dir. of Instructional Technology
Mt. Vernon Township High School
Google Education Trainer (GET)
MCSE/MCSA/Security+
https://about.me/butch_wilson

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
What my testing experienced based on what I had laying around:
No alert
iphone - no service, wifi
samsung - no service/sim, wifi
samsung - off with service/sim
blackview - no service/sim, wifi

Alert
samsung - no service/sim, no wifi
xperia - with service/sim, wifi
samsung - with service/sim, alerts off
samsung - with service/sim, alerts on

No alerts that were not received at the time were received.
Depending on the os version it either came up as a Presidential Alert or a National Alert.

Brian