--
Jon Radel

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 3648 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down [ In reply to ]
Confirmed fiber cut of a OC-48, still dead, Philadelphia metro area,
and the current status report is:

"Michael(20:43:14): Your circuit is impacted by a cable cut. Technicians
are still at work. In the North Pit, they have excavating the damage and
they are prepping the cable for splicing. In the South Pit, they are
still excavating the damage."

No hint as to how much more was cut at the same time or ETR. But I was
thanked for choosing Verizon. :-)

--
Jon Radel

Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down [ In reply to ]
This is very similar to an XO OC-48 fiber cut that happened back in July.
Same areas were effected, South Jersey and Phila. XO was down for 27
hours. The OC-48 may well have been Verizon - wonder whats going in Jersey
with these OC-48 cuts?

-John

Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down [ In reply to ]
Mr. SONET is having tea with the tooth fairy and a unicorn....

From : Frank Bulk <fbulk at mypremieronline.com>
To : john at quonix.net <john at quonix.net>, outages at outages.org
<outages at outages.org>
Subject : RE: Re: [outages] Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New
Jersey down
Date : Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:26:08 -0500

On Behalf Of john at quonix.net

Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down [ In reply to ]
I've seen plenty of SONET "rings" where both sides are in the same cable. Not too much protection when doing things that way...

I think the southern cross cable system had some customers that discovered several years back that running production traffic on both sides of your ring can seem like a great way to double capacity until a major storm goes through and blows away one of the cables and you don't have any capacity left for protection on the remaining side of the ring.

[Sent using Blackberry Messaging]

Mr. SONET is having tea with the tooth fairy and a unicorn....

From : Frank Bulk <fbulk at mypremieronline.com>
To : john at quonix.net <john at quonix.net>, outages at outages.org
<outages at outages.org>
Jersey down
Date : Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:26:08 -0500

On Behalf Of john at quonix.net
> Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:10 PM
> To: outages at outages.org
> Subject: Re: [outages] Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey
down

> This is very similar to an XO OC-48 fiber cut that happened back in
July.
> Same areas were effected, South Jersey and Phila. XO was down for 27
> hours. The OC-48 may well have been Verizon - wonder whats going in
Jersey
> with these OC-48 cuts?
>
> -John

> From : Jon Radel <jradel at vantage.com>
> To : outages at outages.org <outages at outages.org>
> Subject : Re: [outages] Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey
> down
> Date : Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:52:51 -0400
> > Confirmed fiber cut of a OC-48, still dead, Philadelphia metro area,
> > and the current status report is:
> >
> > "Michael(20:43:14): Your circuit is impacted by a cable cut.
Technicians
> > are still at work. In the North Pit, they have excavating the damage
and
> > they are prepping the cable for splicing. In the South Pit, they are
> > still excavating the damage."
> >
> > No hint as to how much more was cut at the same time or ETR. But I
was
> > thanked for choosing Verizon. :-)
> >
> > On 9/3/10 2:03 PM, Jon Radel wrote:
> > > Or so goes the claim for why a bunch of our DS1s in that area all
> went
> > > away ~16:21 UTC. No ETR supplied to us; actually getting any hard
> data
> > > out of them right now is proving difficult.
> > >

> > --
> > Jon Radel

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down [ In reply to ]
On 9/4/2010 21:52, Bill Wichers wrote:
> I've seen plenty of SONET "rings" where both sides are in the same
> cable. Not too much protection when doing things that way...
>
> I think the southern cross cable system had some customers that
> discovered several years back that running production traffic on both
> sides of your ring can seem like a great way to double capacity until
> a major storm goes through and blows away one of the cables and you
> don't have any capacity left for protection on the remaining side of
> the ring.

A problem probably as old as chariots.

Management does not understand the notion of "spares". They understand
paying for stuff in revenue service, and does not understand paying for
stuff not in revenue service.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information: http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml
Verizon Business OC-48 in Philly, S. New Jersey down [ In reply to ]
Then management wasn't charging appropriately. It wouldn't be seen as a
'spare', then.

Frank