Mailing List Archive

Fiber cut in northeast Minnesota on Tuesday, August 3
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/08/03/st-louis-county-fibe
r-optic-line-cut/

Frank

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Fiber cut in northeast Minnesota on Tuesday, August 3 [ In reply to ]
Pretty sure this should be over with as it states "might be
interrupted between now and about 9 p.m. Tuesday night, when repairs
are expected to be complete."

Article was published yesterday, August 3.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

Fiber cut in northeast Minnesota on Tuesday, August 3 [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I was definitely seeing
loss from SFO <-> STL over St. Louis this morning (~8am - 11am PDT),
and various folks were reporting issues with Level3.

I've seen similar Level3 failures in the past, and they all seem to
exhibit the same behavior:
- Traffic to x.x.x.1 is fine
- Traffic to x.x.x.2 is fine
- Traffic to x.x.x.3 shows 100% loss
- Traffic to x.x.x.4 is fine

It's as if there's a link aggregation that's hashing by IP, and one
one of the links stops forwarding, but doesn't go down.
Just a wild guess.
Fiber cut in northeast Minnesota on Tuesday, August 3 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I was definitely seeing
> loss from SFO <-> STL over St. Louis this morning (~8am - 11am PDT),
> and various folks were reporting issues with Level3.

I found out off-list that this fiber cut and the Level3 outage this
morning are not related.

Cheers,
jof