twitter: FranckMartin Avonsys

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
FB down? [ In reply to ]
I'm seeing page timeouts and slow load times from the San Francisco
area as well.

FB down? [ In reply to ]
Southeast is fine, I always get taken to Arkansas.

Same here but I see HTTP connections now. I got timeouts a few mins ago.

Zaid

FB down? [ In reply to ]
Working fine from Atlanta.

-Jim P.

FB down? [ In reply to ]
Who cares?

</editorial>

Sydney, Australia was down.
Cleveland, OH and San Francisco, CA are both functioning.

FB down? [ In reply to ]
Drama.

http://gigaom.com/2010/04/23/facebook-sees-major-outage-takes-out-partner-site-plugins-too/

FB down? [ In reply to ]
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't RST's sent by the TCP stack in the
webserver? If you are recieving them it would imply that the network
connection is fine, but you were sent to a server that is having issues.
WIth the amount of traffic they recieve I would assume they use some sort
of load balancing method. Try clearing your DNS cache and closing your
browser and trying again.

[outages] FB down?

Franck Martin
to:
outages
04/23/10 06:12 PM

Sent by:
<outages-bounces at outages.org>

FB down? [ In reply to ]
Fine in KY. News feed, chat, and profile updates all snappy. Disruption
resolved?

Jason

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Nathan Milford <nathan at outbrain.com> wrote:

> Drama.
>

> http://gigaom.com/2010/04/23/facebook-sees-major-outage-takes-out-partner-site-plugins-too/
>
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Working fine from Atlanta.
>>
>> -Jim P.
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 18:13, Paul McMillan <paul at mcmillan.ws> wrote:
>> > I'm seeing page timeouts and slow load times from the San Francisco
>> > area as well.

Jason L. Sparks
502.303.1925 - v
502.896.9295 - f
jlsparks at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
FB down? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:08:14PM -0400, Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't RST's sent by the TCP stack in the
> webserver? If you are recieving them it would imply that the network
> connection is fine, but you were sent to a server that is having issues.
> WIth the amount of traffic they recieve I would assume they use some sort
> of load balancing method. Try clearing your DNS cache and closing your
> browser and trying again.

RSTs are sent by the OS (not the "webserver"; there is no TCP stack
inside a webserver) when the underlying userland application calls
close(2) on the descriptor (socket), the process exits, or otherwise
aborts/crashes in some way thus freeing the descriptor that handles the
network I/O. Facebook's predominantly using Linux[1] which is why I
describe the above model.

Given Facebook's complexity, who knows what the problem was. Load
balancer or layer 7 filter/re-writer (think F5) issues? Back-end server
problems? Software misconfiguration? Doing burn-outs in an AMC Pacer
by sticking with PHP[2]? Some developer deciding to just roll something
out in the middle of the day (as is quite common with social networking
sites these days)? We'll probably never know.

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen FB's environment behave
erratically (easy to confirm with curl), close sockets abruptly, time
out during HTTP transactions, I'd own a series of small islands by now.

[1]: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Facebook-Software-Stack
[2]: http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/358

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

FB down? [ In reply to ]
By webserver I meant the box not the daemon running on it. I wasn't
trying to give everyone a lesson on TCP, I was just implying that the
original post about the problem being based on a location were probably
false. I'm still curious if it was the entire site or just a few of the
servers in a load-balanced pool

Re: [outages] FB down?

Jeremy Chadwick
to:
outages
04/23/10 07:48 PM

FB down? [ In reply to ]
----- jlsparks at gmail.com wrote:
> People who get customer calls when they can't access social media?
> </editorial>

<hat type="assistant moderator">

Exactly, and we've discussed this in the past. Web service providers of
A Certain Size become valid fodder for this list, as many of our members
do eyeball-network support, and will get calls when their end user customers
can't access these service.

We realize that for some of you, that's not as important as INOC-DBA failures,
but that hasn't been the entirety of the Internet for some decades now.

Mail filters are pretty common these days, guys.

And everyone please remember to move discussions to outages-discuss; that's
what's it's for.

<PINCH>

</hat>

Cheers,
-- jra

Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra at baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.