Mailing List Archive

[Outages-discussion] [Fwd: Re: Internet outages in Mediterranean.]
----- "Frank Bulk" <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> The ones who make the decisions know that SONET/SONET-like redundancy
> can be purchased, or architected. It's another example of where economic
> factors are encouraging those buyers not to make those purchase decisions.
> Not to say that all the future costs are properly accounted for, just that
> the people who purchase the capacity and "care" could choose to spend
> their dollars for redundant transport.
>
> In fact, it would be best if a few more failures occurred so that
> those who didn't properly assess the impact of outages to their business can
> make those adjustments.

We are *well* past the point where we need to go back to making Internet
backbone architecture design decisions on an engineering, rather than a
financial basis.

Public corporations clearly can be trusted only to do that which the
business environment and laws demand: Maximize Shareholder Value.

That is almost *never* the same as Maximizing the Public Good.

Unless we fix the first, we must regulate to achieve the second.

This is a recording<tm>.

Cheers,
-- jra
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra at baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.