--
Kurt VanderScheer
V.P. of Engineering
Michigan Message Center
800-873-0625
www.mmc-net.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Trouble with Network Solutions DNS Servers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Kurt VanderScheer wrote:
> Network Solutions is reporting ongoing problems since yesterday with some of
> their DNS servers.
> http://forums.networksolutions.com/announcements-f4-dns-issues-possible-impa
> ct-to-your-ecommerce-site-t3433.html
> <http://forums.networksolutions.com/announcements-f4-dns-issues-possible-imp
> act-to-your-ecommerce-site-t3433.html>

This is the result of a large-scale UDP/53 DDoS. My (unofficial)
understanding is that they're being flooded with properly-formed DNS
queries, indistinguishable from real traffic, which makes it very
difficult to discern DDoS sources, since there's no reason to think that
source addresses aren't forged.

-Bill