Had a bunch of calls come in from customers starting around 1:15 PM. Put in a call to Abovenet and was told they're experiencing a "global routing issue". Also received an email from them around 8:10 AM EST today indicating that they had experienced an issue with their backbone but that it had been resolved. We've shut down our Abovenet transit and all customers are seeing normal availability again.

Anybody got any additional info with regard to this?

D.
Abovenet Routing Instability [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:15:23PM -0500, Darrell Hyde wrote:
> Had a bunch of calls come in from customers starting around 1:15 PM. Put in a call to Abovenet and was told they're experiencing a "global routing issue". Also received an email from them around 8:10 AM EST today indicating that they had experienced an issue with their backbone but that it had been resolved. We've shut down our Abovenet transit and all customers are seeing normal availability again.
>
> Anybody got any additional info with regard to this?

I have no details of the problem, but can confirm what you're seeing;
Abovenet MPLS connectivity between Santa Clara and Virginia is severed
as well.

I also saw the notice Abovenet sent earlier this morning about the
"backbone issue", though at that time we saw nothing.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
Abovenet Routing Instability [ In reply to ]
>I also saw the notice Abovenet sent earlier this morning about the
>"backbone issue", though at that time we saw nothing.

Just received the following from Abovenet:

AboveNet is experiencing a network event.

Event Date & Time:

18:00 UTC, 28 Feb 2008

Event Description:

AboveNet is experiencing routing instability in it's global IP backbone. Customers may be experiencing increased latency and packet loss during this event. AboveNet is currently investigating the issue. Updates will be made as they become available.