Mailing List Archive

Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption
Hmmm. I thought I saw Osama putting on his diving suit... ***SHRUG*** :)

Have there been any ETAs named yet for all three of these cable repairs?

We have an office in India and it made me think, when these American
companies decided to outsource to India, did any of them consider ANY
of the telecom infrastructure over there? I don't want to come across
as negative but our experiences with all the telecom providers over in
India have been horrible! Echoey PSTN networks, extreme network
congestion, etc...

-Mike

Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

I haven't see anything. ETA are difficult to give. For example, is a ship available or is it already in the middle of a job. These ships are quite busy. Not only do they do repairs for undersea optics, but they lay cables for offshore oil platforms, regional cables, etc.

And even if a ship is available, maybe it has to return to port for provisioning (pick up fiber optic cable stockpiled by the undersea cable system or some of its repeaters).

And then the ship has to locate the fault. You can't calculate the exact point where a failure has occurred. So you have to look for it with an unmanned submarine.

Lots of potential headaches.

rod.beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
rodbeck at erols.com