Mailing List Archive

Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?
Is there a difference between "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?

I thought the "MX204" has honored based license, which isn't sold
anymore. Where the "MX204-HW-BASE" (also end of sale but still widely
available) enforces the license after version 22.2R1 for BGP. Is this
assumption correct?

If there is indeed this difference how can I distinguish these two
platforms from the CLI?

I have a MX204 with version 22.3R3.8 without a license installed on it
and its doing BGP just fine. So I guess I have the older MX204 model?

I'm asking as I'm looking for a spare (refurb) unit for my current router.

admin@router> show system license
License usage:
                                 Licenses     Licenses    Licenses
                  Feature      Feature     Feature
  Feature name                       used    installed      needed Expiry
  scale-subscriber                      0           10 0    permanent
  scale-l2tp                            0         1000 0    permanent
  bgp                                   1            0 1    invalid
  l3static                              1            0 1    invalid
  ospf                                  1            0 1    invalid

Licenses installed: none

admin@router> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
Chassis                                XXXXX             JNP204 [MX204]

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]

> Is there a difference between "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?

Strictly speaking they are just different SKUs, not different models.

MX204 : Chassis + Fan trays + PEMs
MX204-HW-BASE : Base MX204 chassis PLUS perpetual Junos software license

AFAIK , code that has enforcement is limited to specific scaling or more
advanced features, but outside of that, base things just work. Don't take
that as gospel though.

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 at 14:18, chiel via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Is there a difference between "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?
>
> I thought the "MX204" has honored based license, which isn't sold
> anymore. Where the "MX204-HW-BASE" (also end of sale but still widely
> available) enforces the license after version 22.2R1 for BGP. Is this
> assumption correct?
>
> If there is indeed this difference how can I distinguish these two
> platforms from the CLI?
>
> I have a MX204 with version 22.3R3.8 without a license installed on it
> and its doing BGP just fine. So I guess I have the older MX204 model?

Last I heard back from a contact at VAR we use at $dayjob was to
downgrade to <= 22.1R2-S1 (H1/2023). I.e. 22.2 and above will
enforce the new license schema. No clarification have had been
received what Juniper intends to do concerning MX204 owners
with the "old" perpetual license. Wishing to upgrade to newer
22.2 or 22.4 releases.

If you have a support contract with them. I recommend estacalting
the question with them.

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Confusing, yes! As chiel wrote, these are just ordering SKU. Neither should be used for new orders. Instead “MX204-HWBASE-AC-FS” should be used, but “MX204-HW-BASE” is still allowed for legacy ordering. These are both priced the same, and basically provide exact same HW parts.

The “difference” is that either SKU above does not contain a [Flex] Feature License. Some Feature License, Adv or Prem, at some term (years or perpetual) must now be included if you want any MX to do any L3 or above features. So basically without some Feature License tied the HW SN via some Flex Feature License, it is a good boat anchor!

For information on Flex Licenses go here - https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/juniper-licensing-user-guide/topics/concept/licenses-for-juniper-software.html

This change in how MX and other Juniper products has been driven by Stock Analysist and other vendors. “I don’t make the news, I just report it”

For any questions, reach out to either your Juniper Partner or Juniper Account team.

FYI Only. Regards, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it

Juniper Business Use Only

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
On 10/01/2024 18:50, Richard McGovern wrote:
> So basically without some Feature License tied the HW SN via some Flex
> Feature License, it is a good boat anchor!

So why does the MX204 I currently have and doesn't have any license
installed on it is running BGP/OSPF without any problems on version
22.3R3.8? If I lookup the SN on the Juniper website [1] I see "MX204".
If I lookup other SN from "MX204-HW-BASE" I do see "MX204-HW-BASE"
instead of "MX204".

So I guess "MX204" doesn't enforce the license?

I guess another option is not to go above version 22.2R1?

[1] https://entitlementsearch.juniper.net/

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Ah, I forgot that point. None of the features should be ?hard? enforced, no matter what SW release you are running. You should receive many error/warning messages regarding using a feature for which you do not have a license ? ?soft? enforcement we call it. So no feature should not be able to be configured or used because of lack of a license. If a license is needed for testing, reach out to your Juniper SE or go through Partner to get a temp license.

Juniper protects against user using features they did not actually pay for via EULA ? End User License Agreement - https://webdownload.juniper.net/swdl/dl/secure/site/1/record/167857.html?pf=QFX5120-32C

A ?MX204? hardware and SKU knew nothing about Flex license. That model was pre-Flex. That model had no licenses if my memory is right ? full Junos which was changed at $10K ? very good deal I might add!!. That model (IC bus name) thinks differently than model with name MX204-HW-Base or MX204-HWBASE-AC-FS (FS = Flex Software maybe????). Both of these models know about Flex and the requirement match of feature being used and license installed.

Now, unknown to me (they don?t tell SEs any of this info either) there could have been ?hard? enforcement added in some newer SW release ? RN should point this out (stop laughing please!!!). Juniper internal have discussed implementing ?hard? enforcement over the years, and with potential change in product management (just happens) that view may change. Can?t tell you yah or nah on hard enforcement.

Hopefully this helps, and explains a little of the history of how MX got to where it is today, and beyond.

Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I?d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don?t make the news, I just report it

Juniper Business Use Only
[External Email. Be cautious of content]

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:41:41PM +0000, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:
> Now, unknown to me (they don?t tell SEs any of this info either)
> there could have been ?hard? enforcement added in some newer SW
> release ? RN should point this out (stop laughing please!!!). Juniper
> internal have discussed implementing ?hard? enforcement over the
> years, and with potential change in product management (just happens)
> that view may change. Can?t tell you yah or nah on hard enforcement.

If you do not have enough magenta coloured ink, no BGP for you...

gert
--
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Good evening guys, how are you ?

If I can contribute a little.

Looking from a timeline standpoint... the MX204 passed:

- MX204 with -IR and R licenses ( which were perpetual )

- MX204-P-BASE ( Which was the transition box from -IR and -R to Flex License )

- MX204-HW-BASE ( Advanced and Premium Flex Licenses with 3 years or Perpetual )

Now on the JUNOS 22, Juniper starts requesting that the licenses hashes be installed in the box. However, from my point of view, the portal for generating router licenses is not yet prepared to take an -IR or -R license and generate it in the way that version 22 understands.

For example. If you bought an MX480/MPC7 ago with -IR and -R ... the JUNOS 22 will ask you to install the hash of a license to enforce the table's software (bgp, gre, etc). However, we still haven't figured out how to generate an old MX480 or MX204 license for the new standard that JUNIPER is requiring in the JUNOS 22...

I think they forgot about that... somehow... and it will need to be resolved.

At.te

Giuliano

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:41:41PM +0000, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:
> Now, unknown to me (they don?t tell SEs any of this info either) there
> could have been ?hard? enforcement added in some newer SW release ? RN
> should point this out (stop laughing please!!!). Juniper internal have
> discussed implementing ?hard? enforcement over the years, and with
> potential change in product management (just happens) that view may
> change. Can?t tell you yah or nah on hard enforcement.

If you do not have enough magenta coloured ink, no BGP for you...

gert
--
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de

WZTECH is registered trademark of WZTECH NETWORKS.
Copyright © 2023 WZTECH NETWORKS. All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANTE:
As informações deste e-mail e o conteúdo dos eventuais documentos anexos são confidenciais e para conhecimento exclusivo do destinatário. Se o leitor desta mensagem não for o seu destinatário, fica desde já notificado de que não poderá divulgar, distribuir ou, sob qualquer forma, dar conhecimento a terceiros das informações e do conteúdo dos documentos anexos. Neste caso, favor comunicar imediatamente o remetente, respondendo este e-mail ou telefonando ao mesmo, e em seguida apague-o.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The information transmitted in this email message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, transmission, dissemination or other use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer, including any copies.
Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Agree sort of. The SW should know if model was MX204 or MX204-P-BASE/ MX204-HW-BASE. So it should know if need to enforce a license or not. The problem is that some MX204-P-BASE were sold as -IR or -R, etc. and some sold with Flex ? Transition period.

There is no way for SW to know by which method a MX204-P-BASE was sold. So no way to know to enforce or not. That is one reason for ?soft? enforcement. Customer (and Juniper Sales) can then determine which method was used, and get the customer a valid perpetual license at $0 so customer is good to go forever.

Now whether this approach is actually occurring, I don?t know. I service my customer base like above on an as needed basis.

FYI only, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I?d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don?t make the news, I just report it

Juniper Business Use Only

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 09:41:41PM +0000, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:
> Now, unknown to me (they don?t tell SEs any of this info either) there
> could have been ?hard? enforcement added in some newer SW release ? RN
> should point this out (stop laughing please!!!). Juniper internal have
> discussed implementing ?hard? enforcement over the years, and with
> potential change in product management (just happens) that view may
> change. Can?t tell you yah or nah on hard enforcement.

If you do not have enough magenta coloured ink, no BGP for you...

gert
--
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de

WZTECH is registered trademark of WZTECH NETWORKS.
Copyright ? 2023 WZTECH NETWORKS. All Rights Reserved.

IMPORTANTE:
As informa??es deste e-mail e o conte?do dos eventuais documentos anexos s?o confidenciais e para conhecimento exclusivo do destinat?rio. Se o leitor desta mensagem n?o for o seu destinat?rio, fica desde j? notificado de que n?o poder? divulgar, distribuir ou, sob qualquer forma, dar conhecimento a terceiros das informa??es e do conte?do dos documentos anexos. Neste caso, favor comunicar imediatamente o remetente, respondendo este e-mail ou telefonando ao mesmo, e em seguida apague-o.

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Good Evening,

>>> For example. If you bought an MX480/MPC7 ago with -IR and -R ... the JUNOS 22 will ask you to install the hash of a license to >>>enforce the table's software (bgp, gre, etc). However, we still haven't figured out how to generate an old MX480 or MX204 license >>> for the new standard that JUNIPER is requiring in the JUNOS 22...

>>> I think they forgot about that... somehow... and it will need to be resolved.

Unless they EOL the entire lot and therefore the problem is gone. ????. Computer says no ????.

Catalin Dominte

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
Goodnight

As far as I saw, the MX480 and MPC7 are not in EOL.

However, even if it is, and the customer has an active COR or ND type contract, the customer has the right to install recent versions of JUNOS (obviously as long as they are supported by the platform), such as 22.

If 22 complains to the customer about license, the ideal would be to have a way to generate this HASH by the juniper license portal.

Otherwise, every time a commit is made, a WARNING comes and that is very annoying.

The installed base of MX480 and MPC7 with active support is still very high in the world.

At.te

Giuliano

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de<mailto:gert@greenie.muc.de>

Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
On 1/10/24 19:50, Richard McGovern via juniper-nsp wrote:

> The “difference” is that either SKU above does not contain a [Flex] Feature License. Some Feature License, Adv or Prem, at some term (years or perpetual) must now be included if you want any MX to do any L3 or above features. So basically without some Feature License tied the HW SN via some Flex Feature License, it is a good boat anchor!
>
> For information on Flex Licenses go here - https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/juniper-licensing-user-guide/topics/concept/licenses-for-juniper-software.html
>
> This change in how MX and other Juniper products has been driven by Stock Analysist and other vendors. “I don’t make the news, I just report it”

I can believe this.

If other vendors are dumping honor-based or perpetual licenses, it would
be commercially silly to not follow suit.

Kind of like what Broadcom have done since picking up VMware, and
telling customers to move to subscription-based billing in lieu of
perpetual licenses.

Mark.
Re: Difference in "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"? [ In reply to ]
On 10/01/2024 22:41, Richard McGovern wrote:
> Hopefully this helps, and explains a little of the history of how MX
> got to where it is today, and beyond.

Thanks for the insight! this helps :)

As I only need it for spare I will probably just go for the
MX204-HW-BASE and ignore the warning messages if I ever need to use it.
Good to know that its not (yet) enforced.