this standard across vendors? I am impressed that Juniper takes the times
to keep track of all these issues, but I am unimpressed that there are this
many bugs.
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 17:47, Colton Conor <colton.conor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if JUNOS will ever go to a unified code model like Arista
> does? The amount of PR's and bug issues in JUNOS seems overwhelming. Is

For the longest time Juniper pretended they had a single Junos,
because they didn't have a large enough portfolio to justify anything
else. Of course at very early of that marketing pitch the single image
already included multiple images for different targets.
Anyone could do this, anyone could ship fat tgz which contains
everything, at some point it becomes less than sensible.

ANET is already pretending there is a single image, due to transition
to 64b and over time entropy increases for them too.

--
++ytti
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure how long Arista can keep the single binary approach as they
expand their portfolio
and feature set. For example it makes very little sense to have full BNG
code on EX access switches, imge would be huge.

As for JTAC recommended release, it's a very generic recommendation not
taking specific use cases into consideration (Except for EVPN-VXLAN CRB/ERB)
Typically Juniper considers R3 releases to be mainstream adoptable (reality
is more like R3-S<latest>) but you will sleep better if you do proper
testing and to avoid regression bugs etc.

You can always ask your friendly SE for some guidance.

/Roger

Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 19.08.2020 16:42, Colton Conor wrote:
> How do you plan which JUNOS version to deploy on your network? Do you stick
> to the KB21476 - JTAC Recommended Junos Software Versions or go a different
> route? Some of the JTAC recommended code seems to be very dated, but that
> is probably by design for stability.
> https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476&actp=METADATA

just for the record (some of you will already know) ... there is no longer a recommended release.
The Article was renamed: "Suggested Releases to Consider and Evaluate"

For any real recommendation you would have to buy a service which analyzes you configs and cross checks PRs.

But in reality nothing much has changed, even before the rename the recommendation was not very strong anyway, just a general guideline.

--
Kind Regards
Tobias Heister
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
Agree with Rx-S<latest> and with reasonably conservative approach,
<latest> should be >= 3. In S1, S2 you will probably get PR fixes
affecting multiple previous releases but for a new R-specific PRs it
takes time to be discovered and fixes implemented, which usually takes
not less than 6 months. Also you may take into consideration that last
releases in a train usually have longer support period.

Kind regards,
Andrey

Roger Wiklund ????? 2020-08-19 11:12:

Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 14:42:32 +0000
Colton Conor <colton.conor@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you plan which JUNOS version to deploy on your network? Do you stick
> to the KB21476 - JTAC Recommended Junos Software Versions or go a different
> route?

I've occasionally got some good advice from bigger operators who often
have significantly more testing and deployment experience than I,
Although their concerns are often incongruent to mine, since we are apt
to rely on a very different set of interfaces, services, and features.
Just hearing something like "do not use version X because Y, or we're on
version Z" can be helpful. Maybe just ask on this list what version
people are using or have had problems with before deciding? Not very
scientific, but seems like a fair use of the list.

I'm not sure it is worth the time invested, but I'm probably a rare
breed that reads through release notes and tries to determine what I'm
in for or what I may have to change for an install or upgrade. It is
very time consuming, but has been helpful a few times for things I
would have otherwise been unprepared for. Here is an old of example of
the sort of thing I've done:

<https://github.com/jtkristoff/junos/blob/master/upgrade.template.txt>

John
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
Start with the highest code version supported on the hardware that has all
the features you need.
Subtract 2 from the major revision number.
Pick a .3 version of that major revision.
Work towards current from there depending on test results, security needs,
etc.

Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
Let’s be real... this is how to pick a new Junos version
https://fuckingjuniper.com/dice.gif

Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 02:23:31 +0000
Luca Salvatore <lucasalvatore@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let’s be real... this is how to pick a new Junos version

I bet there is a generation of people on this list that never saw the
cartoons Juniper ran in it's early days. There were probably some that
weren't a dig at Cisco, but this was pretty representative as I recall.

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bZ7EhbBrv3Q/SX2Da35TlKI/AAAAAAAAAEA/tMVxs88v3G8/s1600-h/juniper-03.gif>

John
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, John Kristoff <jtk@depaul.edu> said:
> I bet there is a generation of people on this list that never saw the
> cartoons Juniper ran in it's early days. There were probably some that
> weren't a dig at Cisco, but this was pretty representative as I recall.

I think I still have my deck of Juniper playing cards somewhere.
--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
The best answer ever!

Go to Vegas, in a Cassino, play some roulette. Wait for a number between 10 and 20, if black, normal Junos, if red, SR Junos... if you lose all money before get a code similar a release, follow Tom Beecher schemas.

IT'S A LOTTERY to pick a junos release.....

One of my case
I have deployed some QFX5120 32C and 48Y units a year ago, exactly Aug/2019, until today, those units are offline and waiting a code that’s fix RSVP/ISIS/MPLS signalization.... until there, wasted money, etc....

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:47 AM Colton Conor <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__colton.conor-40gmail.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=d3qAF5t8mugacLDeGpoAguKDWyMVANad_HfrWBCDH1s&m=a6BNdZOtIAqYpPvwVFnIF4E-D-PQw3QGn-NmT5hFQag&s=vCQMfrWksdsBnD7JU0aeeHZARhmdT9KC6Caf59B_xgc&e=>

Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On 19/Aug/20 16:42, Colton Conor wrote:

> Just wondering if JUNOS will ever go to a unified code model like Arista
> does? The amount of PR's and bug issues in JUNOS seems overwhelming. Is
> this standard across vendors? I am impressed that Juniper takes the times
> to keep track of all these issues, but I am unimpressed that there are this
> many bugs.

It's only going to get worse.

Personally, I don't mind a little bit of forking. I don't want bugs due
to BNG features because it's all one Junos.

Arista's portfolio is still simplistic because the main target market is
data centre switching. Wait when their code gets up to scratch re:
IP/MPLS, and it will be a reminder of what happened when Juniper went
from JUNOS 8, and a bit of 9, to Junos 10 and where we are today :-).

Mark.
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On 19/Aug/20 17:00, Saku Ytti wrote:

> For the longest time Juniper pretended they had a single Junos,
> because they didn't have a large enough portfolio to justify anything
> else. Of course at very early of that marketing pitch the single image
> already included multiple images for different targets.
> Anyone could do this, anyone could ship fat tgz which contains
> everything, at some point it becomes less than sensible.
>
> ANET is already pretending there is a single image, due to transition
> to 64b and over time entropy increases for them too.

Completely agreed.

The vendors can't sustain a single market portfolio any longer. Either
they fork, or they acquire some company and still fork.

Times are hard.

Mark.
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On 19/Aug/20 17:12, Roger Wiklund wrote:

> I'm not sure how long Arista can keep the single binary approach as they
> expand their portfolio
> and feature set. For example it makes very little sense to have full BNG
> code on EX access switches, imge would be huge.

We've seen this play before. It's a matter of time.

> As for JTAC recommended release, it's a very generic recommendation not
> taking specific use cases into consideration (Except for EVPN-VXLAN CRB/ERB)
> Typically Juniper considers R3 releases to be mainstream adoptable (reality
> is more like R3-S<latest>) but you will sleep better if you do proper
> testing and to avoid regression bugs etc.
>
> You can always ask your friendly SE for some guidance.

I've generally only chosen specific code because it has a new feature I
want, and then I stick with it until I can't any longer, typically due
to it not having extended support.

The other reason to choose code is because, well, you have no choice,
e.g., they release an MPC20E line card that mandates the use of Junos
43. Take it or leave it.

If I'm happy with the features I have, I won't look at other code unless
it introduces a new feature I need, or it receives no more love from
Juniper.

Mark.
Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On 19/Aug/20 18:03, John Kristoff wrote:

> I'm not sure it is worth the time invested, but I'm probably a rare
> breed that reads through release notes and tries to determine what I'm
> in for or what I may have to change for an install or upgrade. It is
> very time consuming, but has been helpful a few times for things I
> would have otherwise been unprepared for. Here is an old of example of
> the sort of thing I've done:

I do it less these days since I have minions, but yes, this is a tried &
tested part of network operations.

Since we are deploying PTX1000's soon, that's the first time I've read
(Junos 20) release notes to that degree since Junos 14 back in 2014 :-).

Mark.

Re: How to pick JUNOS Version [ In reply to ]
On 20/Aug/20 15:33, Alexandre Guimaraes wrote:

> The best answer ever!
>
> Go to Vegas, in a Cassino, play some roulette. Wait for a number between 10 and 20, if black, normal Junos, if red, SR Junos... if you lose all money before get a code similar a release, follow Tom Beecher schemas.
>
> IT'S A LOTTERY to pick a junos release.....

Like on the PTX1000's we are getting, we'll go straight to Junos 20
because... why not?

If we hit issues along the way, we'll review.

If we don't, happy days.

It does help that these are core boxes, so...

Mark.