Platform is MX80
Or should I go step by step: i.e:
13.2 -> 14.1
14.1 -> 15.1
15.1 -> 16.1
16.1 -> 17.1
17.1 -> 17.4

Rob
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Hi,

usually they say not more than 2 major releases in one step (i.e. 13 -> 15
-> 17).

kind regards
Rolf

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Not that I am in any way authoritative... And I think  Juniper has
official guidelines, but these might be a bit conservative. Depending on
your config and feature sets.

But I would at least suggest doing a few steps.

13.2 to 15.1 should be ok - skipping 14.

15.1 to 17.1 (and probably even 17.4) should also be ok, skipping 16.

But do a backup, and verify in each step. The biggest changes are from <
15 to 15+

/Ola (T)

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
I can only offer that if you want to go 13.x direct to 17.x:
- you ought to do a lab test as this is not officially endorsed.
- I know downgrading from 17.x to 15.1 has been problematic in our lab, requiring USB stick recovery.
- I know that upgrading from 15.1 to 17.4 is fine.

Avoiding lab time/risk, what Ola suggests is the simplest most pragmatic approach if you have a small number of boxes.
If you have many, 13.x direct to 17.x is a more attractive option if you can prove in the lab, to your satisfaction, that it works for you.

Niall Donaghy
Senior Network Engineer
GÉANT
T: +44 (0)1223 371393
M: +44 (0) 7557770303
Skype: niall.donaghy-dante
PGP Key ID: 0x77680027
nic-hdl: NGD-RIPE

Please note my work days are Tuesday through Friday.

Networks • Services • People
Learn more at www.geant.org?
??
GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered with the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam with registration number 40535155 and operates in the UK as a branch of GÉANT Vereniging. Registered office: Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands. UK branch address: City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Le ven. 8 mars 2019 à 10:26, Robert Hass <robhass@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi
> Can I do direct upgrade of JunOS 13.2S to 17.4S ?
> Platform is MX80
> Or should I go step by step: i.e:
> 13.2 -> 14.1
> 14.1 -> 15.1
> 15.1 -> 16.1
> 16.1 -> 17.1
> 17.1 -> 17.4

As others said, direct upgrade is somewhat unsupported and quite bold.

We're currently upgrading mx480s from 13.3R5 to 17.2R2 with an
intermediate step on 15.1F5. As those are LNSes we have to activate
tomcat (`services subscriber-management`) while in 15.1, then continue
the upgrade.

For downgrades besides deleting the subscriber-management
configuration we disable GRES and commit sync, and it goes smoothly.

HTH,
pierre
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:38:16AM +0100, "Rolf Han?en" wrote:
> usually they say not more than 2 major releases in one step (i.e. 13 -> 15
> -> 17).

So why is that?

Genuinely curious, as I do not have much JunOS upgrade experience - and
my Cisco IOS experience so far has been "you can go from wherever you
are to wherever you want to go" - when going up, you can hit warnings
about "old config syntax", and when going down, you might lose config
bits that are "new" - but besides this, things generally work.

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Many (most?) network operating systems are an image file that the
switch either writes over a partition (ie. block-level copy) or boots
directly (ie. initrd/initramfs) with a separate partition for a config
file. Junos is a full BSD operating system that installs packages to
partitions on the device, runs upgrade scripts, etc.

--
Eldon

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 01:17:44PM -0700, Eldon Koyle wrote:
> Many (most?) network operating systems are an image file that the
> switch either writes over a partition (ie. block-level copy) or boots
> directly (ie. initrd/initramfs) with a separate partition for a config
> file. Junos is a full BSD operating system that installs packages to
> partitions on the device, runs upgrade scripts, etc.

So?

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 01:17:44PM -0700, Eldon Koyle wrote:
>> Many (most?) network operating systems are an image file that the
>> switch either writes over a partition (ie. block-level copy) or boots
>> directly (ie. initrd/initramfs) with a separate partition for a config
>> file. Junos is a full BSD operating system that installs packages to
>> partitions on the device, runs upgrade scripts, etc.
>
> So?

I didn't do an upgrade but I replaced an SRX last week. Went from an SRX210 with 12.1X to an SRX345 with 18.4R. Almost the whole configuration was copy&paste. The interface names were different, but that was about it. I see no reason why an upgrade wouldn't have worked: it's basically the same as copy&pasting an old config to a new OS release.

Cheers,
Sander
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Lately, we have been upgrading lots of our ACX5048's from 15.1X54 (D51 and
D61) to 17.3R3.10

-Aaron

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
My point is only that they made a _lot_ of changes to the underlaying
systems between 12/13/14 and 15 (as far as I understand it 15 is
basically forked from 12, so changes done in 13 and 14 are not
necessarily in 15).  But they still changed a lot, especially the whole
change from running as a os directly on the hw, to a virtualised
environment on many platforms etc. started in 15.

So that is why I would suggest going from whatever you have that is less
than 15, to 15.1, and then going from there to whatever you want to go
to that is higher than 15.

These days, the major number is only representing the year (it always
has, but today to an even greater extent).  So the difference beween eg.
17.4 and 18.1 is not neccesarily  more greater than the difference
between 17.3 and 17.4.

/Ola (T)

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
On 8/Mar/19 16:56, Pierre Emeriaud wrote:

> As others said, direct upgrade is somewhat unsupported and quite bold.
>
> We're currently upgrading mx480s from 13.3R5 to 17.2R2 with an
> intermediate step on 15.1F5. As those are LNSes we have to activate
> tomcat (`services subscriber-management`) while in 15.1, then continue
> the upgrade.

If memory serves, we rolled out our new backbone back in 2014 on 14. We
totally skipped 15 and went straight to 16.

We are now on 17.

We usually do an upgrade once a year, in many cases moving to the next
major release in the line. We didn't do this for 15 because we spent
most of 2014 - 2016 in roll-out.

Mark.
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
On 8/Mar/19 23:12, Gert Doering wrote:

> So?

Just as with FreeBSD (if you've used it before), you can upgrade to 11
if you are coming from 9.3 and any official version of 10. For anything
earlier than that, you'd need to upgrade to 10 first.

You can upgrade to 10 if you are coming from any official versions of 7,
8 and 9. If you have anything earlier than that, you need to upgrade to
9 first.

You can upgrade to 12 if you are coming from any official release of 11.
For anything earlier than that, you need to upgrade to 11 first.

And so on and so on, for the reasons that Ola has highlighted.

With Junos being based on FreeBSD, you can see why this makes sense.

Mark.
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 7:11 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:

> Just as with FreeBSD (if you've used it before), you can upgrade to 11
> if you are coming from 9.3 and any official version of 10. For anything
> earlier than that, you'd need to upgrade to 10 first.

I don't think this is it. Junos is lot more immutable installation
than your laptop Linux or FreeBSD. On your laptop the FreeBSD upgrade
just puts new files on top of old ones retaining vast majority of the
state, even running state until you reboot to new kernel.
On Junos the upgrades are mostly fresh install with partition or two
for mutable data, like config etc which are kept in place. Which also
means any config change you do _AFTER_ issuing 'request vmhost softare
add' are gone, as that installation process stores the mutable data
preparing next boot for fresh install. So you can't capitalise on
Classic IOS style 'i'll stage new image on all boxes and get some free
upgrades due to crash, power outage etc', which I've used in the past
for 0 cost upgrades for thousands of devices, when there was no urgent
need to upgrade and I hope we can get back to it some day.

So Gert's question 'y tho?' is very much valid, and the most obvious
reasons is because Juniper doesn't want to increase the product cost
to cover lab testing from any-to-any, as it would mean ever increase
money and time cost to release. By setting some fixed rules, they have
fixed amount of work to test the upgrade. I doubt Cisco has actually
formally supported any-to-any on classic IOS either.

That's still unsatisfactory answer, because if it's fresh install,
shouldn't it just work, like people pointed out classic IOS goes
anywhere to anywhere. There are few reasons why it might not work

a) The install at OLD version fails to install the NEW version,
nothing bad happens, you just can't install the NEW on. Practical
example:
- this recently happened in many platforms like qfx5k and ptx1k,
because OLD release reported itself as systctl 'hw.product.model'
which happens to be 'pvi-model' for all. The NEW version installer
asks will only proceed if the platform is correct model and
'pvi-model' is not listed as correct model, so installer will give up.
The problem is, the OLD version should have reported itself as sysctl
'hw.product.pvi_model' and it would have just worked or the NEW
version should have accepted upgrades from platforms called
'pvi-model', but then upgrade would have proceeded on PTX1k with QFX5k
image . So here you must go from OLD version to ANOTHER version where
it doesn't do the verification and then from ANOTHER version to NEW
version where ANOTHER version correctly claims to be
'hw.product.pvi_model'.

b) The installation is success, but platform doesn't come up configured right:
- Because IOS accepts config unatomically line-by-line, you can
give it arbitrarily bad config, and it'll eat what it can, making it
robust between version changes. This is not true for Junos, it's easy
to come up with config which just causes commit to barf, so when the
new version is coming up it comes up unconfigured. This is the most
typical reason why upgrade doesnt work, and you're gonna be mostly
fine you just need console connection to address the config issue and
with cursory understanding you'll fix it in a minute.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but just pointing out couple I know
I've ran into. But personally I would always try direct upgrade from
any-to-any and USUALLY it will just work and MOST times when it does
not work, you can address it with small config change before upgrade,
greatly reducing your upgrade time compared to approved upgrade path.

--
++ytti
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 07:07:49AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> With Junos being based on FreeBSD, you can see why this makes sense.

Not really :-)

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 11:18:35AM +0200, Saku Ytti wrote:
> b) The installation is success, but platform doesn't come up configured right:
> - Because IOS accepts config unatomically line-by-line, you can
> give it arbitrarily bad config, and it'll eat what it can, making it
> robust between version changes. This is not true for Junos, it's easy
[..]

This is actually a very good point. Thanks.

Note to self: have console access in place for major jumps (or test
specific config beforehand on identical-hardare lab device).

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
On 9/Mar/19 11:18, Saku Ytti wrote:

> So Gert's question 'y tho?' is very much valid, and the most obvious
> reasons is because Juniper doesn't want to increase the product cost
> to cover lab testing from any-to-any, as it would mean ever increase
> money and time cost to release. By setting some fixed rules, they have
> fixed amount of work to test the upgrade. I doubt Cisco has actually
> formally supported any-to-any on classic IOS either.

You may be right.

I have a dinner planned with some Juniper folk that seem to have clue.
I'll definitely ask this question and see what lands.

Mark.
Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
This was, and still is, the most accurate answer in the thread. To expand
on it further....

Cisco IOS images are standalone binary images. Each time the device is
powered on, it loads the image it is configured too, and executes it. The
entire operating system is encapsulated in this image file, and it's
execution is completely independent of any image is has executed
previously, or will in the future. You don't really 'upgrade' a Cisco IOS
device ; you just tell it to load a different image.

Junos is a complete operating systems. Just like your home computer, each
time the device loads, it is loading the complete OS in the state that it
was when it was shut down. ( Hopefully. :) ) When you upgrade it, the
process only modifies certain components. Any OS upgrade process like that
will have restrictions and dependencies that dictate where you can upgrade
from based on where you are now. You always have an option to do a clean
install of the version you want, but that is a complete removal and
replacement of the entire OS.

Cisco NX-OS is the same way. I've watched our datacenter guys have to do
the exact same intermediate upgrade, X -> Y -> Z , if the version gap was
large enough that X -> Z was not doable. Exact same reason as JunOS.

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 4:30 PM Tom Beecher <beecher@beecher.cc> wrote:

> was when it was shut down. ( Hopefully. :) ) When you upgrade it, the
> process only modifies certain components. Any OS upgrade process like that

This is not true, the upgrade is fresh install. It is not like you do
upgrade on your laptop FreeBSD or Linux.

Equivalent on your laptop would be that you keep your config in
directory /config, have that in partition you don't touch then
reinstall new FreeBSD on your system partition and remount that
/config partition. You just lost all the programs you've installed
outside base system and any other changes you've done outside /config.

Your laptop FreeBSD doesn't know what exists in the system what data
has been changed, what has been installed it can't just steamroll the
installation with new, so it'll reinstall new stuff on top of old one
for the things it knows about. Juniper doesn't have this problem, they
know what is the state of the system so they can just streamroll it
and they do.

--
++ytti
> > was when it was shut down. ( Hopefully. :) ) When you upgrade it, the
> > process only modifies certain components. Any OS upgrade process like
> > that
>
> This is not true, the upgrade is fresh install. It is not like you do
upgrade on
> your laptop FreeBSD or Linux.
>
> Equivalent on your laptop would be that you keep your config in directory
> /config, have that in partition you don't touch then reinstall new FreeBSD
on
> your system partition and remount that /config partition. You just lost
all the
> programs you've installed outside base system and any other changes you've
> done outside /config.
>
> Your laptop FreeBSD doesn't know what exists in the system what data has
> been changed, what has been installed it can't just steamroll the
installation
> with new, so it'll reinstall new stuff on top of old one for the things it
knows
> about. Juniper doesn't have this problem, they know what is the state of
the
> system so they can just streamroll it and they do.

Hmm looking at my old junos upgrade procedures form 12 to 15 I found the
following statements:

Upgrading from 12.3xxxx to 15.1xxxx upgrades the FreeBSD version from 6.1 to
10.0.
Upgrading from 12.3xxx to 15.1xxx reformats the file system. Only specific
files and directories are preserved.
Only specific files and directories are preserved unless precautions are
taken.
Juniper document reference that states the above is:
http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/ju
nos-os-upgrading-kernel-freebsd10.html

Since the JUNOS upgrade is from JUNOS with FreeBSD kernel version 6.1 to a
JUNOS with FreeBSD kernel version 10.0, there is a requirement to upgrade to
an intermediate JUNOS version (13.3 or 14.2) first. Table 1 in the following
Juniper document reference quotes it:
http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/installation/ju
nos-os-upgrading-kernel-freebsd10.html

On the backup RE1, the configuration compatibility against the 15.1xxx
software release cannot be performed due to upgrading from JUNOS software
with FreeBSD 6.1 to a JUNOS software version with FreeBSD 10.0. Therefore
skip the validation using the JUNOS CLI command "request system software add
/var/tmp/junos-install-mx-x86-64-15.1xxxxtgz no-validate". Do not use the
"reboot" option here as this is not supported for this type of software
upgrade.

In order to avoid PR(not externally available) we need to deactivate config
related to console before doing upgrade to 15

So yeah there's a lot of stuff to pay attention to.
I suggest you read the release notes, section Basic Procedure for Upgrading
to Release to find more info and more documentation.
Oh and always test the upgrade in lab -to avoid running into nasty PRs in
production during the upgrade night.
And best approach is to have pre-upgraded REs

adam

Re: Old JunOS upgrade path [ In reply to ]
This is not applicable to MX80 (as platform was mentioned by topic starter).