this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
document.+++
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm something. "Injected" in the text below refers to prefixes accepted
into the BGP table? Prefixes that passed the import policies?

Limit the Number of Prefixes on a BGP Peering
You can limit the number of prefixes received on a BGP peering and log rate-limited
messages when the number of "injected" prefixes exceeds a set limit. You can also tear
down
the peering when the number of prefixes exceeds the limit.

Thanks!
-Kashif.
+++The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
And what do you want to confirm exactly...?

Erik

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 23:39, Kashif.Khawaja@Broadwing.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted to confirm something.
> +++The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
> retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
> this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
> If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
> document.+++
---
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect
We Dare BV
tel: +31.10.7507008
fax: +31.10.7507005
http://www.we-dare.nl
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
Hi Kashif,

AFAIK, this is an absolute figure, counting the amount of routes sent by
the peer and it doesn't take filtered routes into account.

Cheers,

Erik

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 23:41, Kashif.Khawaja@Broadwing.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted to confirm something. "Injected" in the text below refers to prefixes accepted
> into the BGP table? Prefixes that passed the import policies?
>
> Limit the Number of Prefixes on a BGP Peering
> You can limit the number of prefixes received on a BGP peering and log rate-limited
> messages when the number of "injected" prefixes exceeds a set limit. You can also tear
> down
> the peering when the number of prefixes exceeds the limit.
>
> Thanks!
> -Kashif.
> +++The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
> retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
> this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
> If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
> document.+++
---
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect
We Dare BV
tel: +31.10.7507008
fax: +31.10.7507005
http://www.we-dare.nl
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
Kashif.Khawaja@Broadwing.com writes:

Kashif,

> Hi All,

> Just wanted to confirm something. "Injected" in the text
> below refers to prefixes accepted into the BGP table?

Yes.

> Prefixes that passed the import policies?

And also prefixes that did not pass import policies.

The default behaviour for processing a received BGP path ('keep
none/all' change this):

1) perform a set of basic checks (as-path loop detection, etc). If the
test fails discard the route... doesn't get installed in the routing
table, etc.

2) perform import policy. If the policy fails the route still gets
stored in the routing table but w/ a preference that makes it
unusable. This is done so that when import policy is changed, the
router can locally reevaluate policy for routes that it has rejected.

This entries that do not pass import policy do consume resources and
such are counted against prefix-limit parameters.

o "keep all" instructs the router to keep paths that fail test 1)
o "keep none" " " " " " " reject paths that fail test 2)

But i would advise against fiddling w/ those... unless you really
must.

Pedro.
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:41:51PM -0600, Kashif.Khawaja@Broadwing.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted to confirm something. "Injected" in the text below refers to
> prefixes accepted into the BGP table? Prefixes that passed the import
> policies?

One of the fairly negative aspects of not having an explicit "neighbor
prefix-list" command (as Cisco implements it) is that there is really no
safe way to implement a prefix-list filter on a customer/peer/whatever,
and still use the prefix limit as a safety net on top of that.

For example, say you have a customer who normally announced 20 routes via
BGP. You have an explicit prefix-list (well, policy-statement with a
series of route-filter statements, as the prefix-list statement is
horribly crippled by the lack of modifiers like orlonger etc) allowing all
20 routes, and you have an additional safety net of a 100 entry
prefix-limit. Now say one day the customer hoses something and starts
leaking 1000 routes from one of their peers or other transits. Even though
you have the prefix filter in place and are effectively limiting them to
20 routes, you're still going to trip the prefix limit. At least with
Juniper you don't necessarily have to tear down the entire session, but
that doesn't solve the underlying problem.

The entire prefix-list/limit system drives me nuts personally, and is
probably the biggest reason why it is horribly inconvenient to use Juniper
in a BGP-speaking-customer attach device role. Having to use a
policy-statement to do prefix-filtering and then not being able to re-use
that list for packet filtering etc is certainly pretty darn annoying.
Having a customer session torn down because they accidentally leak some
routes even when your prefix filtering would catch them is fairly annoying
too. 20 lines of config per neighbor if you want to limit v4, v6, and
multicast routes, that's pretty annoying. Bouncing BGP sessions when you
go to add a prefix limit because the commands that set the prefix-limits
are under the commands that set negotiated NLRI's to be advertised,
OOOOOOOOH that'll drive you up a wall real quick. :)

I'm sure Juniper has a reason for doing it the way they do it, and there
is no discounting that being able to do everything in a policy-statement
is a simple and powerful way to implement almost anything, but the sooner
they fix some of the above the happier I'll be. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:54:23PM -0800, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> This entries that do not pass import policy do consume resources and
> such are counted against prefix-limit parameters.

Might it be useful for people using prefix limits as a "don't leak and
destroy the internet" safety net rather than a "don't announce 1 million
routes and suck up all my ram" safety net to have the option of which one
(or both) to check on the prefix limit?

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
ras@e-gerbil.net (Richard A Steenbergen) writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:41:51PM -0600, Kashif.Khawaja@Broadwing.com wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just wanted to confirm something. "Injected" in the text below refers to
> > prefixes accepted into the BGP table? Prefixes that passed the import
> > policies?
>
> One of the fairly negative aspects of not having an explicit "neighbor
> prefix-list" command (as Cisco implements it) is that there is really no
> safe way to implement a prefix-list filter on a customer/peer/whatever,
> and still use the prefix limit as a safety net on top of that.

There are totally orthogonal issues...

'prefix-list' vs 'policy-statement route-filter' is purelly a question
on syntax. Lets not rehash this one at the moment...

The important question is: do the routes that are rejected by the
policy still consume resources or not... if they do they need to be
counted against a prefix-limit, if they don't ("keep none") they
aren't.

prefix-limit is supposed to keep your box from rolling over by
exaustive resource comsumption from a peer.

Pedro.
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:17:20PM -0800, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> prefix-limit is supposed to keep your box from rolling over by
> exaustive resource comsumption from a peer.

Ah the joys of developers vs operators. I don't think there are any
network operators who would give that as the reason for using prefix
limits. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
Richard,

Your comments are certainly appreciated. It would be most
helpful if you could work with your Juniper account team to
codify your requirements and have them file an Enhancement
Request so we might be able to provide the functionality you
want in a future release.

BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:20:21PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:17:20PM -0800, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> > prefix-limit is supposed to keep your box from rolling over by
> > exaustive resource comsumption from a peer.
>
> Ah the joys of developers vs operators. I don't think there are any
> network operators who would give that as the reason for using prefix
> limits. :)

Oh, there are. And actually I think Juniper is 110% right and IOS
is wrong or at least suboptimal there.

IOS max-prefix limits with soft-reconfig inbound leaves your box
pretty vulnerable to resource exhaustion.

Regards,
Daniel
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:26:52PM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Your comments are certainly appreciated. It would be most
> helpful if you could work with your Juniper account team to
> codify your requirements and have them file an Enhancement
> Request so we might be able to provide the functionality you
> want in a future release.

Yeah yeah yeah I know. :)

I'm not trying to harp on this issue, and please no one at Juniper take
offense, but I'm curious how many operators out there agree or disagree
with me on this point. This seems like as good a place as any to ask,
since Juniper using operators tend to be the clueful ones anyways.

Are there any operators out there who place the importance of prefix
limits providing protection of routing resources from someone announcing a
million routes above or anywhere near the importance of using prefix
limits to catch "common" leaks by peers/customers/etc which would result
in suboptimal routing?

Is this particular disconnect between developers and operators perhaps one
of the reasons why every operator I know would LOVE to see auto-adjusting
prefix limits that follow the "normal" number of prefixes announced by a
peer, and yet no vendor has ever tried to implement it (that I know of
anyways)?

Food for thought at any rate.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> Are there any operators out there who place the importance of prefix
> limits providing protection of routing resources from someone announcing a
> million routes above or anywhere near the importance of using prefix
> limits to catch "common" leaks by peers/customers/etc which would result
> in suboptimal routing?

I would like that obviously, but then again I may be one of the few people
who don't want other peoples routers exploding my network.

> Is this particular disconnect between developers and operators perhaps one
> of the reasons why every operator I know would LOVE to see auto-adjusting
> prefix limits that follow the "normal" number of prefixes announced by a
> peer, and yet no vendor has ever tried to implement it (that I know of

It just wasn't that important compared to what else we had on the deveng
plate, and thats what weekly script runs are for.

/vijay
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
* Thus spake Richard A Steenbergen (ras@e-gerbil.net):

> Are there any operators out there who place the importance of prefix
> limits providing protection of routing resources from someone announcing a
> million routes above or anywhere near the importance of using prefix
> limits to catch "common" leaks by peers/customers/etc which would result
> in suboptimal routing?

We use it to protect the resources as a sanity check. Prefix limits
are set to 200% of the number routes in the list which is auto-generated
by a script using routes properly registered in the IRR. This gives the
customer some leeway for minor leaks and/or room to grow without taking
out our routers. There are plenty of routers out there running a fine
line in terms of resources as companies squeeze more and more out of
every piece of gear.

> Is this particular disconnect between developers and operators perhaps one
> of the reasons why every operator I know would LOVE to see auto-adjusting
> prefix limits that follow the "normal" number of prefixes announced by a
> peer, and yet no vendor has ever tried to implement it (that I know of
> anyways)?

I agree with Vijay, this can be done using scripts and we don't see
the number of routes that are advertised by customers wildly swinging
up or down from day to day so the auto-sensing feature while interesting,
probably doesn't help any more than scripts. We would hope that someone
that is going to start announcing a significantly larger amount of routes
due to a legitimate reasons would work with their provider to prepare for
such an event.

thanks
-cp
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:33:01PM -0500, Craig Pierantozzi wrote:

> I agree with Vijay, this can be done using scripts and we don't see
> the number of routes that are advertised by customers wildly swinging
> up or down from day to day so the auto-sensing feature while interesting,
> probably doesn't help any more than scripts. We would hope that someone
> that is going to start announcing a significantly larger amount of routes
> due to a legitimate reasons would work with their provider to prepare for
> such an event.

Ok I may lose this one on the basis of scripting. Personally I am of the
belief that every time a perl script logs into a router, baby jesus crys.
But thats just me. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:35:57PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:33:01PM -0500, Craig Pierantozzi wrote:
> >
> > I agree with Vijay, this can be done using scripts and we don't see
> > the number of routes that are advertised by customers wildly swinging
> > up or down from day to day so the auto-sensing feature while interesting,
> > probably doesn't help any more than scripts. We would hope that someone
> > that is going to start announcing a significantly larger amount of routes
> > due to a legitimate reasons would work with their provider to prepare for
> > such an event.
>
> Ok I may lose this one on the basis of scripting. Personally I am of the
> belief that every time a perl script logs into a router, baby jesus crys.
> But thats just me. :)

Poke around this mib (in recent sw):

enterprises.2636.5.1.1.2.6.2.1.7

- Jared

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 22:35, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> Ok I may lose this one on the basis of scripting. Personally I am of the
> belief that every time a perl script logs into a router, baby jesus crys.
> But thats just me. :)

At the other end of the spectrum, I would like nothing more than to
issue `request system software add jperl` and let my routers pull from
my data sources, instead of the other way around. :-)

--
Jeff at Reflected Networks
BGP Prefix-Limit On A Session [ In reply to ]