Mailing List Archive

sampled problem
Hi,

ive setup sampling some time ago but have removed all sampling
configurations since then. Now when i apply some packet filtering rule
to an interface, the cpu usage of the RE jumps to 100%, all used up by
sampled:
PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
9785 root 88 15 18460K 17896K RUN 5:04 96.29% 96.29% sampled

I even have
forwarding-options {
sampling {
disable;
}
}

but still the same effect.

My filter rule looks like:
firewall {
filter fw {
term term1 {
from {
address {
some-block-here/prefix;
}
}
then {
discard;
}
}
term term2 {
then accept;
}
}
}

Running JunOS 6.0R1.6.

Regards,
Jonas
sampled problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Jonas,

I don't recall seeing this problem before. I tried your config and I was
not able to reproduce it.
Can you try restarting sampled and see if it fixes the problem. You can
also try deactivating the forwarding-options sampling config.
Also, check /var/log/sampled and see if there is anything that looks
suspicious.

Thanks,
Yulianto

sampled problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Yulianto,

the high usage went away after 2-3 minutes. Thanks for everyone who
pointed this out. Strange anyway.

Jonas

sampled problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:15:08AM +0100, Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) wrote:
> Hi Yulianto,
>
> the high usage went away after 2-3 minutes. Thanks for everyone who
> pointed this out. Strange anyway.

Yeah I see that one all the time, but usually after first turning on
sampling. Anyone from jnpr want to tell us why? :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
sampled problem [ In reply to ]
When first starting sampling, it is necessary for rpd and sampled
to get "in sync". Depending on how many routes you have, it can
take a couple minutes or so for sampled to learn which routes go
with which AS.

sampled problem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:25:23PM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> When first starting sampling, it is necessary for rpd and sampled
> to get "in sync". Depending on how many routes you have, it can
> take a couple minutes or so for sampled to learn which routes go
> with which AS.

Ah, I was wondering when this part was being done (I had thought sampled
was just querying rpd per flow rather than copying data). Thanks for
clearing that one up. :)

I don't suppose you guys would see any value in adding a "cflowd x.x.x.x
autonomous-system-type none" for those of us who don't rely on
router-populated origin/peer AS data and would like to save some cycles?

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras