this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
document.+++
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
Hi Kashif,

The 750- part numbers are used by engineering and manufacturing. The P-
part numbers are model numbers that are used on the price list. Both are
officially recognized and equally preferred.

Thanks,
..Aviva

In message <53CF07EABA71C2448C8CC7C4B2C6F1FA07A08C24@auscvexch1.ixc-comm.com>yo
u write:

Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
Hi Kashif,

This might help some. We use the model numbers listed on this link.

http://www.juniper.net/products/ip_infrastructure/modules/100046.html#ordering

Cheers,
Steve

________________________________

Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
750- is a part number
P-4OC3-SON-SMIR is a model number

Which one you use depends on what you're using it for! :)

Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 03:30:55PM -0800, Aviva Garrett wrote:
> Hi Kashif,
>
> The 750- part numbers are used by engineering and manufacturing. The P-
> part numbers are model numbers that are used on the price list. Both are
> officially recognized and equally preferred.

I don't suppose there is a list of the part numbers floating about
anywhere? I've had a couple of instances where I've needed to talk part
numbers with people, and the only reference I had was flipping through
live boxes and doing "show chassis hardware" to look for a match (which
works for everything except the chassis itself, that part number is never
shown for some reason :P).

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
RAS> and doing "show chassis hardware" to look for a match (which
RAS> works for everything except the chassis itself, that part number is never
RAS> shown for some reason :P).

Richard,

Chassis is a System containing all the FRU's and not a
part. So for the "Chassis" you would need to take the midplane
as a part number

Josef
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:58:30AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
> Chassis is a System containing all the FRU's and not a
> part. So for the "Chassis" you would need to take the midplane
> as a part number

But the chassis has a serial number of it's own, in addition to
the midplane serial number...

Regards,
Daniel
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
Saturday, February 14, 2004, 1:55:48 PM, you wrote:

DR> On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:58:30AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
>> Chassis is a System containing all the FRU's and not a
>> part. So for the "Chassis" you would need to take the midplane
>> as a part number

DR> But the chassis has a serial number of it's own, in addition to
DR> the midplane serial number...

correct.. all FRU's SN#'s are pointing to this id and this
Chassis SN# has a very special meanings for different tasks.

Josef
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:49:01AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
> DR> But the chassis has a serial number of it's own, in addition to
> DR> the midplane serial number...
>
> correct.. all FRU's SN#'s are pointing to this id

What does that mean? That you can deduct the chassis for which a PIC
was originally purchased for from the PIC's SN#? I somehow doubt that
you can encode the chassis SN# into the 2-chars-plus-4-numbers SN#s
of PICs, so I guess I misunderstood you?!? :-)

> and this Chassis SN# has a very special meanings for different tasks.

E.g. support contract validation.

Where is the chassis SN# stored btw? Some small PCB in the chassis,
connected via some ribbon cable to the midplane? Or even in the
midplane, given that you can order only the whole chassis+midplane
as RMA replacement, not the midplane alone?

Best regards,
Daniel
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
Sunday, February 15, 2004, 11:21:26 AM, you wrote:

DR> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:49:01AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
>> DR> But the chassis has a serial number of it's own, in addition to
>> DR> the midplane serial number...
>>
>> correct.. all FRU's SN#'s are pointing to this id

DR> What does that mean? That you can deduct the chassis for which a PIC
DR> was originally purchased for from the PIC's SN#?
DR> I somehow doubt that
DR> you can encode the chassis SN# into the 2-chars-plus-4-numbers SN#s
DR> of PICs, so I guess I misunderstood you?!? :-)

why not ? it's just a matter of a database.

>> and this Chassis SN# has a very special meanings for different tasks.

DR> E.g. support contract validation.

correct

DR> Where is the chassis SN# stored btw? Some small PCB in the chassis,
DR> connected via some ribbon cable to the midplane? Or even in the
DR> midplane, given that you can order only the whole chassis+midplane
DR> as RMA replacement, not the midplane alone?

midplane

have you ever seen a midplane replacement without alignment tools ?
Any midplane needs to come with the frame it is installed on.

Josef

Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:52:12AM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
> DR> What does that mean? That you can deduct the chassis for which a PIC
> DR> was originally purchased for from the PIC's SN#?
> DR> I somehow doubt that
> DR> you can encode the chassis SN# into the 2-chars-plus-4-numbers SN#s
> DR> of PICs, so I guess I misunderstood you?!? :-)
>
> why not ? it's just a matter of a database.

OK, so the chassis # is not encoded into the PIC SN#, but a database
links PIC SN#s to Chassis SN#s. Although I somehow fail to see the
relevance of this linking, as it is really common to swap PICs all
around between your boxes. Supervising grey market sales? Detecting
wether a PIC for which a case is open is purchased via official
channels or on the used market, and thus rejecting support without
"re-certification"?

> have you ever seen a midplane replacement without alignment tools ?

No, we always got a whole chassis+midplane assembly delivered as
RMAs.

So bottom line is, that the "Chassis Serial-Number" is not really a
serial-number of the chassis assembly, but actually more of a system
ID which happens to be stored in NVRAM on the midplane, correct?

Given the following:

Item Version Part number Serial number Description
Chassis 5xxxx M10
Midplane REV 03 710-001950 AVxxxx

actually, 710-001950 is the part number for the whole CHAS-MP-M10(-S),
with AVxxxx being the serial-number of this chassis+midplane assembly,
and 5xxxx being the implanted system ID. In order to uniquely identify
the hardware, the AVxxxx ser# is used, because the chassis ID can be
reprogrammed at will by Juniper (e.g. RMA replacements are delivered
with the same chassis ID as the defect assembly has). Correct?

Best regards,
Daniel
Part Numbers [ In reply to ]
Richard,

The part numbers are really internal numbers. The support group uses
them to keep track of hardware versions. If you need more specific help,
I'd suggest contacting JTAC.

Thanks,
..Aviva

In message <20040214010202.GZ56548@overlord.e-gerbil.net>you write: