Any help greatly appreciated.

--
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect
We Dare BV
tel: +31(0)10-7507008
fax: +31(0)10-7507005
http://www.we-dare.nl
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
Erik,

not sure if you ever got a reply on this. Recommended way to recover would be to simply install from PCMCIA or LS120 disk.

Cheers,
-Daniel

problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
Hi Daniel,

We didn't have a PCMCIA or LS handy, but creating a new filesystem and
dd'ing the first sectors from an M160 with the same RE (and copying the
label) got everything running just fine. It took a while to figure
everything out, but your learn as you go :-)

Cheers,

Erik

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 00:26, daniel wrote:
> Erik,
>
> not sure if you ever got a reply on this. Recommended way to recover would be to simply install from PCMCIA or LS120 disk.
>
> Cheers,
> -Daniel
>
> On 11:58 Wed 28 Jan , Erik Haagsman wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We've been having problems with the harddrive on the RE of an M40. I've
> > created a new filsystem and fsck now marks it clean, but after rebooting
> > I get disk label errors and I still can't mount the ad1 devices.
> > Any clues on setting the disklabel correctly...?
> > When running disklabel -e it puts me in vi editing the label by hand,
> > but I'm not sure what to do with it and I'm not sure what file to use
> > for disklabel -R [disk] [protofile].
> >
> > Any help greatly appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > Erik Haagsman
> > Network Architect
> > We Dare BV
> > tel: +31(0)10-7507008
> > fax: +31(0)10-7507005
> > http://www.we-dare.nl

---
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect
We Dare BV
tel: +31.10.7507008
fax: +31.10.7507005
http://www.we-dare.nl
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
:)

-Daniel

problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:58:55AM +0100, Erik Haagsman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've been having problems with the harddrive on the RE of an M40. I've
> created a new filsystem and fsck now marks it clean, but after rebooting

I hate Travelstars. I have a pile of failed drives about 10 high from my
Thinkpads over the last few years, and another pile almost as high from
failures in RE's. I don't know what Juniper was thinking, but if you're
serious about keeping your RE working I recommend replacing them with
Toshiba drives. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
> I hate Travelstars. I have a pile of failed drives about 10 high from my
> Thinkpads over the last few years, and another pile almost as high from
> failures in RE's. I don't know what Juniper was thinking, but if you're
> serious about keeping your RE working I recommend replacing them with
> Toshiba drives. :)

Hypothetically speaking - has anyone done this? The drive is mounted from
underneath the circuit board, so it looks like it would be difficult to
replace. You would have to at least remove the circuit board, remove the
drive from there, put in a matching drive, get everything back together
without damaging it, etc.

Given that these items are really expensive at list price and have a high
failure rate solely because of the hard drive, it would be really nice to
take a shot at replacing the drive and putting the unit back into service
as a spare. Just a thought.

Kevin
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:09:58AM -0500, sigma@smx.pair.com wrote:

> > I hate Travelstars. I have a pile of failed drives about 10 high from my
> > Thinkpads over the last few years, and another pile almost as high from
> > failures in RE's. I don't know what Juniper was thinking, but if you're
> > serious about keeping your RE working I recommend replacing them with
> > Toshiba drives. :)
>
> Hypothetically speaking - has anyone done this? The drive is mounted from
> underneath the circuit board, so it looks like it would be difficult to
> replace. You would have to at least remove the circuit board, remove the
> drive from there, put in a matching drive, get everything back together
> without damaging it, etc.
>
> Given that these items are really expensive at list price and have a high
> failure rate solely because of the hard drive, it would be really nice to
> take a shot at replacing the drive and putting the unit back into service
> as a spare. Just a thought.

Do you have a screw driver? Do you know how to operate it? If so, you are
qualified to replace a failed harddrive or compact-flash on a Juniper
routing engine.

Juniper doesn't even manufacture them, the RE you are probably using (2.0,
RE-333) was made by a company called Teknor, later purchased by Kontron,
who makes hardware for embedded systems. They are actually Intel 6U blade
servers turned on their side:

http://www.kontron.com/products/pdproductsubcategory.cfm?keyProductCategory=3&kps=681

Every component is modular, including the PCMCIA slot. It uses standard
ram, standard compact flash like you would find in your digital camera,
and a standard laptop harddrive. If you don't have the small capacity
components that Juniper uses handy, everything will work just fine with
larger equivalents (/ is always 64mb, excess on the cf goes into /config,
and likewise excess on the harddrive goes into /var, all automatically).
You can use 512MB dimms instead of the 256MB ones that jnpr uses on the
RE-333, but only up to a maximum of 768MB total (after that it just starts
ignoring whole dimms). There is even a PS2 keyboard port hidden behind the
shinny brushed metal panel which you would normally see on the outside if
it were in a router (though I've never tried using it). Pretty much the
only thing you can't replace is the processor. :)

DISCLAIMER: If you do any of the things I have mentioned above, and then
you call for support on it, and I meet you later, I will personally slap
you upside the head with an ATM PIC. Knowledge is a useful thing, and
router vendors spend far too much time assuming that their customers are
complete idiots who need to be hand-held every step of the way, but don't
give them an excuse to take away more useful features and functionality
because you are one of those tards who thinks it is funny to call the JTAC
and ask for support on your olive.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 02:49:18PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> complete idiots who need to be hand-held every step of the way, but don't
> give them an excuse to take away more useful features and functionality
> because you are one of those tards who thinks it is funny to call the JTAC
> and ask for support on your olive.

Funny enough, last time I checked, "Olive" was a valid product name
when opening a JTAC case via the web interface. :-P

Of course, there is no such thing as an Olive.

Best regards,
Daniel
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
ras@e-gerbil.net (Richard A Steenbergen) writes:

> You can use 512MB dimms instead of the 256MB ones that jnpr uses on the
> RE-333, but only up to a maximum of 768MB total (after that it just starts
> ignoring whole dimms).

If somebody hypothetically does something like that you want to make
sure you buy ECC memory. You really really want to spend the extra
bucks on that... otherwise you may be surprised when the software
starts randomly crashing out of the blue.

Pedro.
problem with m40 harddrive [ In reply to ]
Hehe...DIY Juniper RE's :-)

I wonder what those Teknor.Kontron units cost if you buy them directly
from them with the exact same config. Unless there's some trickery
behind the scenes preventing them from working when not coming from
Juniper, I'd presume them to be a fair bit cheaper than Juniper RE's and
it doesn't seem too hard to get the initial JunOS install going. Or am
I missing something here (or worse: is this blasphemy? :-)

CHeers,

Erik

--
---