web@typo.org
Network Dude
http://www.typo.org/~web/
rate limiting question [ In reply to ]
Another rule of thumb, especially for high-speed links (> OC-12c) is to set
the max-burst to a value that represents 3-5 milliseconds of line rate
transmission.

As you point out, a 20 M vs a 50 M limiter may well use the same burst size
parameter. The main concern is setting too small a burst, which can make the
policer seem broken because throughput is measured below the configured
bandwidth limit.

HTHs

rate limiting question [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:39:56PM -0800, harry wrote:
> Another rule of thumb, especially for high-speed links (> OC-12c) is to set
> the max-burst to a value that represents 3-5 milliseconds of line rate
> transmission.
>
> As you point out, a 20 M vs a 50 M limiter may well use the same burst size
> parameter. The main concern is setting too small a burst, which can make the
> policer seem broken because throughput is measured below the configured
> bandwidth limit.

Is there some particular reason why there isn't an automatic setting
available for the max burst? :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
rate limiting question [ In reply to ]
It seems that a default, which could be configured explicitly, would be
cool. No idea if there are any plans for such an enhancement.