set, which one is preferred? Is a route without a MED considered equal to a
MED of 0, so any route with a MED will have a lower priority than a route
without a MED?
MED [ In reply to ]
IOS has options for med=0 vs med=max (not the actual syntax) that determines
how the lack of a MED is interpreted. JUNOS does not. If not mistaken, we
always consider no med as a MED of 0.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/products_command_refe
rence_chapter09186a008017d026.html#1039367

bgp bestpath med missing-as-worst
To have Cisco IOS software consider a missing Multi Exit Discriminator (MED)
attribute in a path as having a value of infinity, making the path without a
MED value the least desirable path, use the bgp bestpath med
missing-as-worst command in router configuration mode. To return the router
to the default (assign a value of 0 to the missing MED), use the no form of
this command.

bgp bestpath med missing-as-worst
no bgp bestpath med missing-as-worst
Syntax Description

This command has no arguments or keywords.

Defaults

The software assigns a value of 0 to the missing MED, causing the path with
the missing MED attribute to be considered the best path.

Command Modes

Router configuration

Command History

MED [ In reply to ]
Yes, your correct.

This is also answered in Knowledge Base note 1125 on Junipers Customer
Support site.

https://www.juniper.net/kb/

-Julian

MED [ In reply to ]
>> If we have two otherwise equal routes, one without a MED and one with a MED
>> set, which one is preferred? Is a route without a MED considered equal to a
>> MED of 0, so any route with a MED will have a lower priority than a route
>> without a MED?
>
> Yes, your correct.
>
> This is also answered in Knowledge Base note 1125 on Junipers Customer
> Support site.
>
> https://www.juniper.net/kb/

Thanks to all who replied (privately, as well). Might I suggest that a note
about this be added to the documentation on setting the MED, where one would
expect to find it?