Mailing List Archive

Redundant REs: annoying features et al.
Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

groups {
re0 {
system {
host-name router_re0;
}
interfaces {
fxp0 {
unit 0 {
family inet {
address 10.0.0.1/24 {
}
}
}
}
}
re1 {
system {
host-name router_re1;
}
interfaces {
fxp0 {
unit 0 {
family inet {
address 10.0.0.2/24 {
}
}
}
}
}
}

This config, when applied to re0 and re1, will configure their fxp0 with
different IP addresses, so they both can talk to the network. Just note that
on an inactive re the routing process isn't active.

Hope this is what you're after.

SY,

-- D.K.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:15:06AM +0200, David Martinez CSIC RedIRIS wrote:

---end quoted text---

--
D.K.
Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]
This is the correct configuration. It is also well to use the backup
router statement

set system backup-router <default-gateway-for-fxp0-network>

Bellow lets assume:
set system backup-router 10.0.0.254

This will allow you to communicate to the secondary RE via the fxp0 if
you wish without logging in from other RE

Gary

Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]
Let me know if you need the NTP services.

By the way I am assuming you are using commit sync? If you still have
problems you can send an abridged system config to my personal mail.

Gary

Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]
Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]
The backup-router has nothing to do with RE synchronization as I understand.
The REs can talk internally w/o an fxp0 based OoB network. The backup router
statement identifies a default gateway for OoB routing that is used *only*
when rpd is not running, such as when the router has just booted or in the
case of rpd thrash.

Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]
NTP is not synchronized across the internal Ethernet. It is synced as
per the ntp configuration, which, I assume, is configure the same on
each RE in this scenario because you are using commit sync.

If you have the backup-router configured then the backup re will source
packets from the fxp0 address to the backup-router (of course only if
you have the fxp0 connected). If the connection and configuration is
correct then the NTP sync and associations should be up on the backup
re.

Gary

On Thursday, Oct 30, 2003, at 03:04 US/Pacific, David Martinez CSIC

Redundant REs: annoying features et al. [ In reply to ]