Mailing List Archive

IPv6 on VoLTE
Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, Anurag Bhatia wrote:

> I recently got VoLTE from my provider (AS9498). I noticed that after
> VoLTE is enabled, device is creating two IPsec tunnels and also has
> IPv6 address on those IPsec tunnels.
>
> Was wondering if someone can point me to any paper/documentation on
> how VoLTE works and how this IPv6 over ipsec works in the background?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE , there should be links to
the 3GPP specifications.

I have not heard of VoLTE using IPSEC, that's not how it was supposed to
work at least when I looked into this 5 years ago. Instead it should have
additional bearer on mobile interface to handle this traffic.

How are you identifying this as IPSEC tunnels? What kind of device is it
you're looking at?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@swm.pp.se
Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
?????????????????????

???? iPhone

Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
Dear Customer,

Greetings from Airtel!

This is in reference to your email regarding your concern for your Airtel number.

Kindly note that I am unable to open your profile with the given details. To enable us to process your request, please write back with the exact Airtel fixed line number along with the STD code or the account number as mentioned in the bill.

I request you to revert with your exact query/requirement as the details in your mail is not clear.

I regret for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Regards
Rameshvar Mahadal
Advisor ?C Customer Experience
Bharti Airtel Ltd

???????????????????????????????????

[http://www.airtel.in/transparency/banner1.png]
Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> writes:

> I have not heard of VoLTE using IPSEC, that's not how it was supposed
> to work at least when I looked into this 5 years ago. Instead it
> should have additional bearer on mobile interface to handle this
> traffic.

This might be confusing VoLTE with VoWiFI. The latter will use IPSEC.

Bjørn
Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
hey,

> This might be confusing VoLTE with VoWiFI. The latter will use IPSEC.

Correct. What probably happened is that together with activating VoLTE,
VoWIFI was also activated on the device. Makes sense as VoLTE users are
typically moved to IMS environment.

--
tarko
Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
????????

???? iPhone

Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
NOT ME REMOVE ME OR I AM REPORTING TO RCMP CYBER FRAUD DEPARTMENT

Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
IMS 3GPP specification requires SIP integrity and confidentiality. You
may see IPsec/IPsec security association on the device when it is
communicating and/or registered with P-CSCF (uses SIP protocol). With
VoWiFi IPsec is used to establish a tunnel between UE (user
equipment/phone) and mobile network operator packet core (EPDG node).
So they're two different use cases.

More info:
[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMS_security#IMS_Access_Security_for_SIP
[1] 3G Security: 3GPP TS 33.203 - https://www.3gpp.org/DynaReport/33203.htm
[2] Access to the 3GPP Evolved Packet Core (EPC) via non-3GPP access
networks (VoWiFi) / 3GPP TS24.302- www.3gpp.org/dynareport/24302.htm

--
Yury.
Re: IPv6 on VoLTE [ In reply to ]
hey,

> IMS 3GPP specification requires SIP integrity and confidentiality. You
> may see IPsec/IPsec security association on the device when it is
> communicating and/or registered with P-CSCF (uses SIP protocol).

Correct. While IPsec might be an option, all popular terminals support
SIP-TLS. Our VoLTE implementation happily uses SIP-TLS + IPv6 only
bearer without any IPsec.

> With
> VoWiFi IPsec is used to establish a tunnel between UE (user
> equipment/phone) and mobile network operator packet core (EPDG node).

Correct, ePDG usecase is totally different and also applicable for more
services than just voice.

--
tarko