Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Netflix hates IPv6 [ In reply to ]
Ah ok, fair enough. Good to know. Well, if there's anything we can do in
terms of advocacy, let me know.

-Michael

Re: Netflix hates IPv6 [ In reply to ]
On Wed Jun 15, 2016 at 08:57:03AM +0300, Michael Oghia wrote:
> While following this thread, it occurred to me that one issue not being
> discussed is Netflix's encouragement to revert to IPv4

They could do that better, instead of just telling users to turn off v6
they might explain that it's because they are using a tunnel/vpn and
that they should ask their ISP for native IPv6 instead.

I don't know the numbers involved but they may have decided that a few
tunnel users should be able to figure that for themselves if they
already figured out how to set up a tunnel. Or they are just giving
the lazy answer (and expect ISPs to sort it out when they roll out
native IPv6)

This has all been done to death on the nanog list (my contribution to
the noise is below)

> Thus, the question I pose to the community is this: are there any redress
> mechanisms we can use to address this situation at the core of the issue,
> i.e., with Netflix, and help them work out solutions -- like some of the
> ones offered so far -- to not discourage IPv6? This can include meetings,
> mobilizing networks, relationship building, outreach, etc.

I suspect nothing will change (speaking for netflix while guessing
the likely reason so there may be more to this)

brandon