Best regards,

Christophe BERENGUER
Consultant
Fixe : +33 (0)1 49 03 85 86
christophe.berenguer@solucom.fr<mailto:christophe.berenguer@solucom.fr>
solucom
Tour Franklin : 100 - 101 terrasse Boieldieu
92042 Paris La Défense Cedex
Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Deployment work overload could be 5%.

For deployment of dual stack, you should minimise work overload by:
- taking advantage of normal refresh cycles and bundle enabling of dual
stack into the refresh or deployment of new management systems, procedures,
and services
- picking "low hanging fruit" tasks that will advance deployment with
minimum effort
(some legacy systems may never be capable of or required to be accessed
over IPv6 - leave them).
- don't provide some IPv6 network or service that doesn't have similar
performance and reliability as IPv4 has; wait until you can
- taking things slowly to allow time for staff to mentally adjust to
dual-stack as being normal,
and to keep IPv6 issues from being on the critical path

For run phase, I think it really depends upon what type of IT issues you
normally see:
- something used to work over network and now it doesn't == need to check
IPv6 as well as IPv4.
- database management, or PC malware == no IPv6 involvement
- IPv4 address space micromanagement == easy as IPv6 /64 subnet is never
too small

Run-time recommendations:
- make sure setup *and* changes to firewall / ACL rules permit/deny
equivalently for IPv4 and IPv6
- promptly investigate any network problems that could be blamed on IPv6 to
avoid users advising each other
"just turn off IPv6 to fix things", and then never turning it back on
again.

Thanks,
John

Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
This is a really good list, thanks for sharing. I just gave a talk on this
topic this week, this is timely. For operational reality, the
implementation phase is highly dependent on the environment. For an
environment that has full control of systems to peerings, the overhead will
be less than an environment that has less control on end points or has a
fractured internal structure.

The point of the protocols being ships in the night is very important and
is often forgotten, keeping that in mind is key as is minimizing the method
of users disabling IPv6 to fix issues. I often recommend someone on the
deployment team setting up an IPv6 only station and using it to see what
does and does not function, both internally and externally. A VM works well
for this but I find that an actual workstation makes me actually use it
more. This does a few things, but most importantly it makes it obvious what
doesn't work on v6, which will be at least 50% of your initial roll out
troubleshooting.

Keep good metrics and monitoring on *both* IPv4 and IPv6, this helps both
up front and over time. Anything that is measured and monitored in v4
should also by measured and monitored for v6 in my opinion. Make sure your
security policy is as close to v4 as you can reasonably get it (but be
mindful of ICMP) .his includes all packet captures, filters, ACLs and
security appliance provided services.

nb

---
Nick Buraglio
ESnet Network Engineering Group (AS293)
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
buraglio@es.net
+1 (510) 995-6068

Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2015 22:04, BERENGUER Christophe wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> I work for a consulting firm.
>

> For a client, I would like to estimate the work overload for IT operations team to deploy IPv6 dual stack and for day to day operations.
>

> On the internet, I have found an estimation around 20% of work overload for the run phase.

Is that evidence-based, or a hand-waving guess?
I would expect a bit of extra workload at the beginning of the run phase
but in the steady state are there really 20% more incidents?

Brian

Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
> Op 27 mrt. 2015, om 00:23 heeft Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> On 26/03/2015 22:04, BERENGUER Christophe wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>

>> I work for a consulting firm.
>>

>> For a client, I would like to estimate the work overload for IT operations team to deploy IPv6 dual stack and for day to day operations.
>>

>> On the internet, I have found an estimation around 20% of work overload for the run phase.
>
> Is that evidence-based, or a hand-waving guess?
> I would expect a bit of extra workload at the beginning of the run phase
> but in the steady state are there really 20% more incidents?

We use pfSense at work and I’m using hostnames and other DNS names in the firewall rules to great lengths so that they automatically adjust when a host changes IPs, be that 4 or 6. I can select IPv4 and IPv6 in the rule so the same rule applies to both.

Ofcourse, there is a security tradeoff, but considering the sheer amount of CDN hosting today it’s becoming harder to just assign a IP to the rule and have it work for over a week :)

Firewalling by (prefixes from) ASN would be something useful to have too, for abuse purposes.

I’m mostly talking about outbound firewall rules, the LAN is pretty much closed off. Proxy or bust.

Cheers,
Seth

Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
Without a detailed look at the client this kind of question falls in the
realm of my kid's story problems in her mathematics book - pretty
sounding things that are utterly divorced from reality.

I will just say this, however:

If you do NOT deploy IPv6 then yes it will save labor. Depending on how
disorganized the clients network is, that could be a lot of time or a
little.

But as for operations costs, I would say, zero

The reason is if you don't deploy sooner or later you will have a
problem related to IPv6. Then you will spends lots of time finding and
correcting. That time is roughly equal to the extremely small amount
of additional time that the techs deal with IPv6 on a network that has
had it properly setup.

Ted

RE: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
Thanks everyone for your answers.

We already have raise the point that at some point IPv6 will need to be deploy and the sooner is the better to have time to fix problems and let time for teams to master the technology.

The 20% figure is based on an IETF document and SRI presentation. I think it is not limited to the amount of incident but also the time to duplicate firewall rules, configure all the interfaces, etc. for both v4 and v6.

For the build phase, I agree that it depends on my clients architecture. It has a good overview of it but the impact on application is not clear and hard to estimate.

Thanks again for your answers!

Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/15 09:04, BERENGUER Christophe wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> I work for a consulting firm.
>

> For a client, I would like to estimate the work overload for IT
> operations team to deploy IPv6 dual stack and for day to day operations.
>

> On the internet, I have found an estimation around 20% of work overload
> for the run phase. But if you have operational feedback it would be the
> best!

I agree with others that this is a very hard thing to estimate.

I will say that we run our dual-stack network (fully deployed since ca.
2012) with exactly the same staffing levels, and actually a slight
reduction in our recurrent budget, as our older IPv4-only network.

I don't think our network is any less reliable, or suffers a higher
level of incidents. This suggests to me that, in our case, IPv6 has
added a very low operational cost. Our incidence of IPv6-related
problems, particularly rogue RA from machines configured for connection
sharing, has actually *decreased* substantially since we deployed native
IPv6.

I don't believe the rollout cost was high. We used refresh cycles to
upgrade to v6-capable gear, and rolled out slowly to grow our team
knowledge. But we don't have detailed cost breakdowns.
Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
> The 20% figure is based on an IETF document

Which one? We can fix that if people think it's wrong.
(This comes just too late for yesterday's v6ops meeting
at the IETF in Dallas.)

Regards
Brian
Re: Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team [ In reply to ]
It really depends on how automated you are at running things. It took me
a few hours to brainstorm and document an addressing scheme which lets
us look at the 64 bit suffix and be able to tell in which DC the host is
located and what is it's function.

The setup for our CDN hosts is completely automated, and it took our
ansible guy a couple of hours to write an implementation that checks if
a given DC has IPv6 or not and does the right thing in either case.

Even if you are looking at this in the time-frame of a month, that is
far less than 20%, and in the time-frame of a year, it is negligible.

Testing the in-house software that runs the CDN was more work, but that
came under developer testing, not under IT operations.

If we had been managing all our servers by hand, it would have taken far
more time, but then again, the number of servers we run makes ANY change
which assumes manual intervention unmanageable.

Best regards,
Matija Grabnar