Maybe I should be glad BT haven't deployed any IPv6 to their residential
customers; they'd only find some way to mess up a pretty straightforward
task. Like keeping a link up for more than 24 hours.
Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
Awesome. Seems like https passes TLS handshake and then the same thing.

Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
On 10/10/14 14:40, Phil Mayers wrote:
> $ nc -6 -v www.bt.com 80
> Ncat: Version 6.40 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
> Ncat: Connected to 2a00:2381:ffff::1:80.
> GET / HTTP/1.0
> Host: www.bt.com
>
> Ncat: Connection reset by peer.

Paging Neil McRae...

Firefox does exactly the same for me here at home, so www.bt.com is
effectively down until I go and disable IPv6.

(Not that I'm the target market, but there.)

--
Tom
Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
On 10 Oct 2014, at 13:45 , Tom Hill <tom@ninjabadger.net> wrote:

> On 10/10/14 14:40, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> $ nc -6 -v www.bt.com 80
>> Ncat: Version 6.40 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
>> Ncat: Connected to 2a00:2381:ffff::1:80.
>> GET / HTTP/1.0
>> Host: www.bt.com
>>
>> Ncat: Connection reset by peer.
>
> Paging Neil McRae...
>
> Firefox does exactly the same for me here at home, so www.bt.com is
> effectively down until I go and disable IPv6.
>
> (Not that I'm the target market, but there.)

They also don’t handle other cases (even on IPv4) very well:

% telnet -4 www.bt.com 80
Trying 62.239.186.73...
Connected to www.bt.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
Connection closed by foreign host.

Whatever load balancer that is, it needs an upgrade and understand g’ol HTTP 0.9 as well in addition to IPv6 ;-)

Bjoern A. Zeeb "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983
Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
On 10/10/14 14:50, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> % telnet -4 www.bt.com 80
> Trying 62.239.186.73...
> Connected to www.bt.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET /
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> Whatever load balancer that is, it needs an upgrade and understand g’ol HTTP 0.9 as well in addition to IPv6 ;-)

In fairness, I've run into a lot of actual, real-life webserver code
(usually Java Servlet based cough Oracle cough) that requires, at
minimum, a Host: and Accept: header. Annoying, but I guess...

However as another person points out, this fails with real, browser,
HTTP requests. The "nc" was just a convenient way of showing it ;o)
Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
On 10 Oct 2014, at 15:01, Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 10/10/14 14:50, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
>> % telnet -4 www.bt.com 80
>> Trying 62.239.186.73...
>> Connected to www.bt.com.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> GET /
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>>

>> Whatever load balancer that is, it needs an upgrade and understand g’ol HTTP 0.9 as well in addition to IPv6 ;-)
>
> In fairness, I've run into a lot of actual, real-life webserver code (usually Java Servlet based cough Oracle cough) that requires, at minimum, a Host: and Accept: header. Annoying, but I guess...
>
> However as another person points out, this fails with real, browser, HTTP requests. The "nc" was just a convenient way of showing it ;o)

Indeed, from a v6 capable browser on a v6 network, I get /sadface This web page is not available.

Whoops!

Tim
Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 03:08:43PM +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2014, at 15:01, Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 10/10/14 14:50, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> >
> >> % telnet -4 www.bt.com 80
> >> Trying 62.239.186.73...
> >> Connected to www.bt.com.
> >> Escape character is '^]'.
> >> GET /
> >> Connection closed by foreign host.
> >>

> >> Whatever load balancer that is, it needs an upgrade and understand g?ol HTTP 0.9 as well in addition to IPv6 ;-)
> >
> > In fairness, I've run into a lot of actual, real-life webserver code (usually Java Servlet based cough Oracle cough) that requires, at minimum, a Host: and Accept: header. Annoying, but I guess...
> >
> > However as another person points out, this fails with real, browser, HTTP requests. The "nc" was just a convenient way of showing it ;o)
>
> Indeed, from a v6 capable browser on a v6 network, I get /sadface This web page is not available.

Here, "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."
(AS680)

-is
RE: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
Note that www.att.net has been down for 156 days, www.charter.com for 266
days, www.globalcrossing.com for 829 days....

Frank

Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
* Frank Bulk

> Note that www.att.net has been down for 156 days, www.charter.com for 266
> days, www.globalcrossing.com for 829 days....

These tree WFM from Oslo. They look fine from the NLNOG RING as well.

Tore
Re: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Tore Anderson <tore@fud.no> wrote:

> > Note that www.att.net has been down for 156 days, www.charter.com for
> 266
> > days, www.globalcrossing.com for 829 days....
>
> These tree WFM from Oslo. They look fine from the NLNOG RING as well.

None of those have AAAA records though.
RE: Clueless national monopoly providers [ In reply to ]
Tore,

They load over IPv4, just not over IPv6

I should have been more clear in my posting -- all three used to have AAAA
records and work. I contacted Charter after it broke and they worked on it
internally but eventually removed their quad-A's; I worked with a contact
that had connections to www.att.net but they weren't able to get to the
right folk to fix things; I didn't contact anyone about
www.globalcrossing.com, but I did dig through my old emails just now and
send a note.

Frank