Mailing List Archive

IPv6 Address Planning
Currently we are in the process of planning our IPv6 addressing schema
for our network. We are a service provider with around 20 core routers,
and several hundred enterprise customers. These customers currently
connect back to our core via a separate VLANs or channelized
DS1/DS3/OC-X type interfaces. Thus currently lots of /30 IPv4 blocks.

Our address allocation is 2001:1940::/32

Here is our current plan, but we are looking for suggestions from people
who have been down this road before. The plan is to break out a /48 for
our organization. Then break out the first /64 for loopbacks, and the
next /64 for point-to-point connections. The PTP /64 then breaks out
further into 1 /80 for core links, and 1 /80 for each of our
distribution sites. Within these /80's are individual /112's for PTP
links. What this will allow us to do is aggregate each sites PTP
connections into /80's within our IGP.

Looks something like this.

2001:1940::/48 - TransAria

2001:1940::/64 - Loopbacks/NMS/ETC
2001:1940::1/128 - Router 1
2001:1940::2/128 - Router 2

2001:1940:0:1::/64 - PTP Links
2001:1940:1::/80 - Core Links (non-aggergratable)
2001:1940:0:1::/112 - Core Link 1
2001:1940:0:1::1 - Router A
2001:1940:0:1::2 - Router B
2001:1940:0:1::1:1/112 - Core Link 2
2001:1940:0:1::1:1 - Router A
2001:1940:0:1::1:2 - Router B

2001:1940:0:1:1::/80 - Distribution Site 1
2001:1940:0:1:1::/112 - Customer Link 1
2001:1940:0:1:1::1 - Dist Router
2001:1940:0:1:1::2 - Customer Equipment
2001:1940:0:1:1:0:1:0/112 - Customer Link 2
2001:1940:0:1:1:0:1:1 - Dist Router
2001:1940:0:1:1:0:1:2 - Customer
Equipment

2001:1940:0:1:2::/80 - Distribution Site 2
2001:1940:0:1:2:::/112 - Customer Link 1
2001:1940:0:1:2::1 - Dist Router
2001:1940:0:1:2::2 - Customer Equipment
2001:1940:0:1:2:0:1:0/112
2001:1940:0:1:2:0:1:1 - Dist Router
2001:1940:0:1:2:0:1:1 - Customer
Equipment

2001:1940:1::/48 - Customer 1 Assignment
2001:1940:2::/48 - Customer 2 Assignment
2001:1940:3::/48 - Customer 3 Assignment

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cody
IPv6 Address Planning [ In reply to ]
On 9 Aug 2005, at 14:53, Cody Lerum wrote:

> Currently we are in the process of planning our IPv6 addressing schema
> for our network. We are a service provider with around 20 core routers,
> and several hundred enterprise customers. These customers currently
> connect back to our core via a separate VLANs or channelized
> DS1/DS3/OC-X type interfaces. Thus currently lots of /30 IPv4 blocks.

In case it's useful to compare a slight variation on what you
suggested, ISC uses the following address assignment plan. The main
difference between this and yours is that we assign a /48 to every site
in our network. This works for us. We like it.

[.Note that ISC is not really an ISP, and would quite possibly not
qualify for a /32 allocation from ARIN today. We were allocated
2001:4f8::/32 before the current v6 allocation policy was adopted by
ARIN.]

2001:4f8:site:vlan:hhhh:oooo:ssss:tttt

We choose one 16-bit "site" value per site. The site "0000" is special,
and is used for things like point-to-point links, /128 host routes for
services that are not deployed in a site-specific manner, etc.

2001:4f8:0000:0000:: (reserved)
2001:4f8:0000:0001:: point-to-point (/112 assignments)
2001:4f8:0000:0002:: ISC service addresses (/128 assignments)
2001:4f8:0000:0003:: guest service addresses (/128 assignments)
2001:4f8:0000:0004:: (reserved)
2001:4f8:0000:ffff:: (reserved)

We number internal, ISC sites from 0001 up. We number external, guest
sites from ffff down. If we were an ISP, we would probably use the word
"customer" instead of "guest".

We choose one 16-bit "vlan" value per "vlan". The vlan "0000" is
special, and is used for things like loopback /128s and other stuff
that has no useful "vlan" number.

So, examples:

The site PAO1 (529 Bryant, Palo Alto, CA, USA) is numbered within
2001:4f8:1::/48. The site SQL1 (950 Charter Street, Redwood City, CA,
USA) is numbered within 2001:4f8:3::/48. The AfNOG regional operator
meetings are assigned 2001:4f8:fffe::/48 (which is routed over a
tunnel, when there's a meeting happening).

The service www.isc.org (which moves between hosts on occasion, and is
hence not site-centric) is numbered 2001:4f8:0:2::d/128. The service
ftp.isc.org (similarly) is numbered 2001:4f8:0:2::18/128.

VLAN 14 in Redwood City is numbered 2001:4f8:3:e::/64. VLAN 505 in Palo
Alto is numbered 2001:4f8:1:1f9::/64.

Joe
IPv6 Address Planning [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> Within these /80's are individual /112's for PTP links.

Why use a /112 for point-to-point links? The only reference I can find is
rfc3627, and that one does not really seem to advise to use a /112 except
when using a /64 is not possible... So I am curious about why a /112 is
used.

Thanks,
Sander.
IPv6 Address Planning [ In reply to ]
I've always used /64s for point-to-point interfaces.

-M
--
Michael Nicks