Mailing List Archive

The SLX9540's insane failure rates, so what about the SLX9640?
Hello @all,

After 4 or 5 years of operation, we can see that the SLX9540 has a hardware failure rate of almost 50%, and I know of at least one other provider with similar problems. This is absolute nonsense for a device in the service provider sector and in this price range. I have never experienced this in the last 15 years. This device cannot be operated conscientiously without a service contract with at least NBD. The devices have caused so many failures for us that we will no longer install new ones in good conscience and will slowly replace existing machines (we don't know what yet). And I'm not even talking about SLX-OS here; that would be another posting.

The problem: The SLX9540 dies from one second to the next; the vendor calls this "CPU Failure," and an RMA is necessary. There is no sign in advance, no broken ports, no warnings, the fans keep turning, and nothing else happens.

I guess it's a thermal problem in which a chip is destroyed. For example, I thrashed a refurbished Lab-SLX in a field test using a CPU-heavy task in the TPVM. The SLX at least complained about the temperature being too high and tried an emergency reboot, but after that, it died.

I would be interested to know who has SLX9540s in operation that show a similar phenomenon and SLX9540s that have not seen the problem at least once, and if not, what year of manufacture do they come from? And are these port intake or port exhaust? For example, we have only ever had port intake devices in which the warm air passes through the machine.

And then, most importantly, what about the heavy users of the SLX9640? This has at least the same SoC Intel CPU (if that's the issue). Is there any long-term experience with failure rates?

You can also communicate off-list.

BR
Jörg