Mailing List Archive

IPv6 neighbour discovery across an old Foundry FGS648P
I picked up an old and out-of-support FGS648P for my basement (overkill,
yes, but the PoE was nice for $110 CAD! Plus I wanted to play with a
managed switch). Software version 04.1.00aT7e1, Feb 19 2008 vintage.

I used to have IPV6 enabled on the internal network based on my ISP's
allocated /56, which I advertise on my router's LAN interface using
radvd (/64). All this worked on my old, unmanaged switch.

With the Foundry, I have found that non-link-local IPV6 traffic internal
to my home network won't transit the switch, or rather, that neighbour
discovery won't, saying that the destination was unreachable.
Link-local /does/ transit the switch. Swapping out the Foundry for the
unmanaged switch, the neighbour discovery works again, so that all IPV6
traffic can transit; it is definitely the switch at fault. Can anybody
suggest what I might be able to correct? Do I need a new software image
(and, where the heck could I get a newer image given that I cannot even
buy support if I wanted to)?

SSH@FGS648P Switch(config)#show flash
Compressed Pri Code size = 2864799, Version 04.1.00aT7e1 (FGS04100a.bin)
Compressed Sec Code size = 2864799, Version 04.1.00aT7e1 (FGS04100a.bin)
Compressed BootROM Code size = 405217, Version 04.0.00T7e5
Code Flash Free Space = 2424832

SSH@FGS648P Switch>show ipv6
Global Settings
IPv6 is enabled
Link-local address(es):
fe80::212:f2ff:fe89:ef80 [Preferred]
Global unicast address(es):
2607:f2c2:f00e:b700:212:f2ff:fe89:ef80 [Preferred], subnet is
2607:f2c2:f00e:b700::/64
Joined group address(es):
ff02::1:ff89:ef80
ff02::1
MTU is 1500 bytes
ND DAD is enabled, number of DAD attempts: 3
ND reachable time is 30 seconds
ND retransmit interval is 1 seconds
Current Hop Limit is 64
Hosts use stateless autoconfig for addresses
No Inbound Access List Set
No Outbound Access List Set
IPv6 Domain Name: romanus.ca
IPv6 DNS Server Address:
2607:f2c0::1

I can ping the switch on it's link-local address, but not the global
unicast that I manually assigned (out of my /64).

SSH@FGS648P Switch(config)#ipv6 ?
access-class Filter incoming/outgoing connections
access-list Build ipv6 access lists
address Assign IPv6 address to this switch router
dns Set DNS properties
enable Enable IPv6
mld-snooping Set MLD snooping globally

(There doesn't seem to be a lot I can configure here....)

SSH@FGS648P Switch#debug ipv6 ?
address Packet for ipv6 address
cache IPv6 cache entry
icmp ICMPv6
mld MLD protocol activity
nd Neighbor Discovery
packet IPv6 packet
ra Router Advertisement

SSH@FGS648P Switch#show debug
Debug message destination: Console
Enabling ACL log
IPv6 Routing:
ipv6: address fe80::212:f2ff:fe89:ef80 debugging is on
ipv6: icmp debugging is on
ipv6: nd debugging is on
ipv6: ra debugging is on
ipv6: packet debugging is on

I've turned these on, but I don't know where the debug messages go to...
if console, as implied by show debug, I see nothing even when I
successfully ping fe80::212:f2ff:fe89:ef80
Re: IPv6 neighbour discovery across an old Foundry FGS648P [ In reply to ]
That firmware is ancient... You would probably have better luck if you can
upgrade it...

--
Eldon

Re: IPv6 neighbour discovery across an old Foundry FGS648P [ In reply to ]
Oh indeed, and if anybody has any suggestions on /that/, I'm all ears.