Anybody keen to share their experience on either or both of these platforms?
Anything to be specifically aware of?
Which hardware do you use?
What are you traffic level?
Did it work? Is it bullet-proof?

We are currently considering both Brocade vRouter and Juniper vMX.

Looking forward to your messages and feedbacks.

Alex
Re: Brocade vRouter 5600 [ In reply to ]
I have done quite a bit of work on the vRouter 5600 v5.0R2

Ping me offline for details, but I've managed to do:

- 8 x Routers (4 x vRouters, 2 x vMX, 2 x vSRX) in an MPLS P/PE Network (doing interop with the usual suspects)
- OSPFv2 / OSPF-TE TED Database Population
- RSVP-TE and EROs
- LDP Transport LSPs
- iBGP/eBGP with a handful of routes (didn't connect it to The Internets yet... next step...)
- Route Maps / Routing Policy (i.e. matching routes, chaining localpref, overwriting next-hops for HA eBGP connections)
- VRRP for server-facing stuff
- DHCP Relay and BNG "lite" functionality
- Bridge domains, S/C tag pop-pop/push-push operations
- S/C Tag pbit re-writing
- Source / P-NAT
- 10G DPDK Acceleration (yep, this works very well)

Couple of hiccups, but nothing I haven't been able to work around so far. ( Suspect 5.xR3 or 5.1 will likely fix the corner-case behaviours.) Have some PR/reports back into Brocade; but the vast majority "just works" and works consistently. 5.x Documentation has also been vastly improved too.

- CK.

Re: Brocade vRouter 5600 [ In reply to ]
Couple of things I will also mention:

- vRouter boots up a *LOT* faster than vMX/vSRX
....So the time from spin-up to forwarding packets is the quickest I've seen vs other VNFs (i.e. CSR vASR1000, vMX etc.)

- vMX doesn't do a lot of the MPC/DPC "service blade" (MS-MPC) functionality
basically non-feature parity w/vRouter w/things like IPSEC, EoGRE, NAT etc. You'd have to use vSRX for those; and the caveats/lack of features it brings. (i.e. no EoGRE, stateful flows, etc.)

- I've always had issues with vlan and pop/swap operations on vMX
(which actually i think is more of a vSwitch problem than anything when under ESXi).
KVM seems Ok tho.

- VxLAN is broken still under 15.1F5 under vMX.
The IP addressing is little-endian when it hits there wire.
i.e. IP address 1.0.0.2 of a VTEP goes "out on the wire" as source IP "2.0.0.1".
Fun eh? Took me days to find that one ( a PCAP revealed all.)

I do Like vMX a lot (what I'm used to), but the more I play with vRouter, the more I'm impressed by it.