as expected). We trying passing them to Brocade TAC, but my current
experience is that cooperation with TAC is slow like a hell.

Maybe it's just my bad luck.

I'm looking for people having experiences with reporting bugs to Brocade
TAC.

Are you have positive experience with Brocade TAC ? How fast they can fix
problems ? How professional they are ?

Rob
Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob,

My experience with Brocade support is rather positive. Usually quick
initial response, helpful in really urgent cases (I called them and had an
engineer on the phone for the whole time to resolution/workaround). But of
course, there are several engineers and attitude might vary.

Well, sometimes your request is not fully understood and engineers seem not
to have easy access to test equipment. Especially when it comes to
escalations to product development, things seem to become rather slow.

André

> Hi
> We just deployed test network running ICX switches for connecting many
> office users. We hit some software bugs (for example with not working OSPF
> as expected). We trying passing them to Brocade TAC, but my current
> experience is that cooperation with TAC is slow like a hell.
>
> Maybe it's just my bad luck.
>
> I'm looking for people having experiences with reporting bugs to Brocade
> TAC.
>
> Are you have positive experience with Brocade TAC ? How fast they can fix
> problems ? How professional they are ?
>
> Rob

André Grüneberg
System Architect Web Operations

The unbelievable Machine Company GmbH
Grolmanstr. 40
10623 Berlin
Tel: +49 - 30 - 889 2656 43
Mobil: +49 - 172 - 686 1254
Fax.: +49 - 30 - 889 2656 - 11

https://www.unbelievable-machine.com

*Blog | *Karriere | *Facebook | *Twitter

Geschäftsführer: Ravin Mehta, Benno Wiedfeld
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Deutschland
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 115071B
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE261090159

*Ausgezeichnet: *um ist zweifacher „Big Data Leader 2016“*
Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Thanks

Just additional question to be sure : Were cases you mentioned was about
ICX products ? They was finishing with RMA or DEFECT plus software fix ?
Our cases at the moment are only software issues, looks like DEFECT in 100%
: e.g. adding second OSPF interface causing switch crash.

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
I found with OSPF – coming from cisco world – it has a much lower maximum metric value.
I did however fix this issue before TAC even got back to me.

So make sure you BW values are not too small.. like tunnel interfaces etc.

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Also, if you don't feel like TAC is handling your case as quickly as
they should, you can contact your SE and/or your VAR to put some
pressure on them.

--
Eldon

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Not just your bad luck. We have had VRRP, STP and BGP issues around ICX. As
an experienced engineer getting past T1 & 2 is painful with TAC.

Cheers
Mike

On 25 February 2016 at 02:45, Robert Hass <robhass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> We just deployed test network running ICX switches for connecting many
> office users. We hit some software bugs (for example with not working OSPF
> as expected). We trying passing them to Brocade TAC, but my current
> experience is that cooperation with TAC is slow like a hell.
>
> Maybe it's just my bad luck.
>
> I'm looking for people having experiences with reporting bugs to Brocade
> TAC.
>
> Are you have positive experience with Brocade TAC ? How fast they can fix
> problems ? How professional they are ?
>
> Rob

Michael Gehrmann
Senior Network Engineer - Atlassian
m: +61 407 570 658
Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Maybe I've been lucky, but I have always sailed right past T1 TAC
towards their L3 escalation, and if the case is marked as P1 you've got
good chances of engineering getting involved on short notice.

It all comes down to how well you describe your problem when first
opening the case. That means including a show tech / support-save for
all of the involved devices right from the beginning, as well as a
network diagram if applicable, and a good amount of text explaining the
symptoms you are experiencing and the results you'd expect to see so the
TAC engineer can dive right in. After your case engineer has been
assigned, give them a call and walk them through the problem to make
sure there are no questions on their end. Finally, cc'ing your Brocade
SE into the case so they're aware something's going on never hurts.

I do have to say that if TAC identifies a new defect, you'll have to
hope there is a workaround to solve your problem for the time being
because it'll usually take several weeks for bugfixes to trickle down to
a new GA release.

Best regards,
Martijn

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Can I get that experience please. Maybe it's our timezone because we always
attach 'show tech' and then spend the next few hours trying to convince
them it's already attached to the ticket.

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Michael,
we had same situation. Three times for three cases... "Please provide show
tech" which was provided after opening the case. This is specific probably
to ICX products. We also had some cases related to Fibre Channel equipment
where guys from TAC were much much better.

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Our VAR is just as frustrated.

Frank

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
+1

On 25 February 2016 at 02:45, Robert Hass <robhass@gmail.com <mailto:robhass@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi

We just deployed test network running ICX switches for connecting many office users. We hit some software bugs (for example with not working OSPF as expected). We trying passing them to Brocade TAC, but my current experience is that cooperation with TAC is slow like a hell.

Maybe it's just my bad luck.

I'm looking for people having experiences with reporting bugs to Brocade TAC.

Are you have positive experience with Brocade TAC ? How fast they can fix problems ? How professional they are ?

Rob

Michael Gehrmann

Senior Network Engineer - Atlassian

m: +61 407 570 658 <tel:%2B61%20407%20570%20658>

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
My experience has been that items that are not “service affecting right now” take many weeks to move along. We had two separate tickets resulting an ICX6650 upgrade to 8.0.3e and it took about three weeks to duplicate the (very straightforward!) bugs and then another week to assign a defect number. Both of those were affected by limited lab access/resources. I’m now on my fourth ICX ticket of the year, and it’s also not moving very quickly – just more and more questions each time, and now the case owner is asking for a few days to get feedback from dev.

Frank

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
Come to think of it, our last ICX issue ended up going around TAC.

Apparently, some part of the LLDP parsing for SNMP dies if a device
sends LLDP packets without much useful info (ie. windows 8/10, some IP
phones, some access points), and SNMP doesn't report hostnames, etc.
on any port after that (really, I think the only thing we get is the
chassis id). This means we have a lot of uplink ports (since SFP
ports are at the end) that don't give useful LLDP info over SNMP.

After about a week, TAC replied that the LLDP-MIB is not supported on
fastiron according to the docs.

Our SE ended up pushing the issue directly to product management,
still waiting to hear back on it.

--
Eldon

Re: Experiences with Brocade TAC -> ICX products [ In reply to ]
We heard back a few months ago and I forgot to update this thread.
Their official response is: "The LLDP-MIB is not supported on
fastiron. Please send a feature request via your SE".

--
Eldon