front-to-back cooling. MLXe-8 is side-to-back.

Any ideas are appreciated.

/Tias
Re: MLXe-8 cooling [ In reply to ]
Good Question!

Option #1 is to install a mesh side panel if the rack in standalone or on
the end of a row.

Option#2 is to try and dam off some of the front-to-back air and force it
up the internal side panel of the rack. You can rig a plastic panel to
create a channel for this. Cut a plastic sheet to fit the contour of the
side panels of the rack and mount this 1U below the router. This will
create an air channel and allow the router’s fans to pull air from the
front 1U opening and up the side of the rack. This is a “cheap” fix of
you’re a university or school with a wood shop.

For folks who want something more professional, you can buy a rack “side
air distribution fan”. Here’s a link to one from APC, but other folks also
make them:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=ACF202BLK

Wilbur

Wilbur Smith
SE Ninja, Brocade
wilbur.k.smith@gmail.com
wsmith@brocade.com

Disclosure: While I am a Brocade employee, my participation
in this community is a personal choice and not directed by my employer. And
information or recommendation I provide are my own and not an official
recommendation
from Brocade. Sorry folks, just need to make sure you know I’m ‘doin this
“off
the clock”!

Re: MLXe-8 cooling [ In reply to ]
I think there is a real 4-post rack kit from Brocade with airflow
management, RMK-CAB-MLXE-8, although from my understand its really
expensive.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NI_05400a_XMR_MLX_IG/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#context=XMR_MLX_HW_Install_Guide&file=Combo_MLXe_Installation.04.09.html

Re: MLXe-8 cooling [ In reply to ]
This specific MLXe-8 is located in a fancy APC rack, in a fancy DC, so I
was looking for the fancy one.

Perfect, thanks!

Lets hope its not ER4 priced...

/Tias

Re: MLXe-8 cooling [ In reply to ]
We have some 2U blowers from APC that pull from the front and push down
the side of our MLXe-8's (ACF201BLK or ACF202BLK, depending on your
voltage).

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=107

--
Eldon Koyle