Mailing List Archive

Java on brocade.com web site
Is there anyone from Brocade could pass a note on to the brocade.com web
development team that requiring client side java support is completely broken?

It's broken because:

- it is beyond infuriating to be forced to click "cancel" on every single
brocade.com product web page.

- last time client-side java was considered to be good webdev practice was
in 1997, when we were all using "under construction" signs

- it looks awful on many platforms, even when it's running as designed

- no-one with any sense will run an unsigned java application coming from
anywhere on the internet

- no-one on the brocade webdev team bothered to test this on a slow
computer with not quite enough RAM with a high latency link to the internet

- it looks really unprofessional to have an enormous sign pop up on every
brocade.com web page saying:

--
Running unsigned applications like this will be blocked in a future release
because it is potentially unsafe and a security risk.

- if a customer needs a 360 degree view of a product, please put that on a
different link, or use a different technology.

Nick
Re: Java on brocade.com web site [ In reply to ]
Nick,
Sorry you are having a rough experience with our site. I’m a field SE, but
I can try to circle back with our web developers to see what we can do.

Can you point out exactly where on the brocade.co site you are seeing the
java applet try to load? Is this just the 360 photos?

We’re probably using a 3rd party plugin in our CMS system. Not an excuse,
but sometimes we don’t have eyes on what others are experiencing after we
upload data into the system.

Just for personal feedback, would you be ok with a flash plugin for a 360
view? In a perfect world we would use HTML5, but I’ll have to see what I
can do.

Feel free to drop me a note at my brocade or personal email address:
wsmith@brocade.com or wilbur.k.smith@gmail.com

V/R

Wilbur

Wilbur Smith
SE Ninja, Brocade
wilbur.k.smith@gmail.com
wsmith@brocade.com

Disclosure: While I am a Brocade employee, my participation
in this community is a personal choice and not directed by my employer. And
information or recommendation I provide are my own and not an official
recommendation
from Brocade. Sorry folks, just need to make sure you know I’m ‘doin this
“off
the clock”!