VE), the system doesn't seem to recognize it. I cannot ping the local ipv6
address, and it doesn't show up in "show ipv6 route"

Mark
Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
I can configure VEs with both "ipv6 address" and "ipv6 enable" on my FCX.
What version of code are you running?

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt,

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can configure VEs with both "ipv6 address" and "ipv6 enable" on my FCX.
> What version of code are you running?

The config was accepted for me, and is now installed in 'sho ipv6 route'
when removing follow-ve from the VE that I was configuring.

However, I'm still unable to communicate with ipv6 hosts on a vlan from VE
interface. tcpdump from connected host shows no traffic when trying to
ipv6 ping from FCX to a host on ipv6 subnet on VE.

SW: Version 08.0.00aT7f3

Have you been able to successfully pass ipv6 traffic via VE?

thanks,

Mark
Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
I'm running 7.3.00a in production and 8.0.01 in the lab... both with IPv6
working on VEs. Can you provide the rest of your configuration?

P.S. - For unrelated reasons, I recommend upgrading to at least 8.0.01.

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark

We have a number of ICX switches in the lab, due to go into production in a
few weeks we hope.

Our vendor advises against 8.0.01 for the moment as "bleeding edge"

Do you have any further comment on your recommendation of 8.0.01 "for
unrelated reasons" please? :-)

Thanks!

*Justin Keery, Director*
Venus Business Communications Ltd
*FAST FIBRE INTERNET AND ETHERNET PRIVATE NETWORKS*
24 Denmark St, London WC2H 8NJ

VENUS
020 7240 5858
07976 153 984
www.venus.co.uk

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
I ran 8.0.00a in the lab and lost any form of CLI access (including serial
console) on all of my ICX/FCX switches after a couple of weeks. I'm using
BNA and a couple of other utilities that connect to each switch via SSH
about once per minute which apparently exacerbates a memory leak in the
component managing CLI sessions. Upgrading to 8.0.01 resolved this issue
for me. However, I'm still running 7.x in my production environment.

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
I doubt your issue is this simple, but with Brocade/Foundry at least one physical interface assigned to the VLAN must be ‘up’ in order for the ve to be ‘up’ and therefore in the routing table. This is different from other vendors where the virtual interface can be ‘up’ by itself.

/Ryan

Ryan Harden
Senior Network Engineer
University of Chicago - ASN160
P: 773.834.5441

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
C6500's work the same way. Vlan (e.g. VE) has to be part of an 'UP'
interface (tagged or not) for the vlan itself to go 'UP'.

~Randy

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Vlans on a catalyst 6500 are up/up once you remove the shutdown command.

I just tested it.

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Not on SXI11, at least:

(config)#vlan 250
(config-vlan)#exit
(config)#int vlan 250
(config-if)#no sh
(config-if)#exit
(config)#do sh int vlan 250 | i proto
Vlan250 is down, line protocol is down
(config)#int t2/4
(config-if)#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 250
(config-if)#exit
(config)#do sh int vlan 250 | i proto
Vlan250 is up, line protocol is up

I ran into this a few months ago during initial setup as I honestly
wasn't expecting it. :)

~Randy

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Well then.. Color me shocked. I wonder when that changed - off to cisco.com

(config-if)#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 250 (config-if)#exit (config)#do sh int vlan 250 | i proto
Vlan250 is up, line protocol is up

I ran into this a few months ago during initial setup as I honestly wasn't expecting it. :)

~Randy

On 11/08/2013 2:48 pm, Joseph Jackson wrote:
> Vlans on a catalyst 6500 are up/up once you remove the shutdown
> command.
>
> I just tested it.

Randy McAnally

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Honestly I never really checked on previous releases. Would be curious
to know if/when this changed!

Kind-of makes sense to work this way though, I wouldn't want black-holes
going into OSPF, ect.

~Randy

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]

* rsm@fast-serv.com (Randy McAnally) [Fri 08 Nov 2013, 22:27 CET]:
>Honestly I never really checked on previous releases. Would be
>curious to know if/when this changed!
>
>Kind-of makes sense to work this way though, I wouldn't want
>black-holes going into OSPF, ect.

It's been like that forever. The search keyword to use is 'autostate'.

-- Niels.

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
I was doing similar stuff on a C4900 very recently

If there's an interface up *which is allowed to pass the VLAN* (does not
have to be explicitly assinged), the VIF/VE will be up.

But if there are no interfaces which are allowed to pass the VLAN (ie
VLANSs are blocked by default, or need to be added explicitly etc) the
VIF/VE was down.

Re: IPv6 on FCX [ In reply to ]
Hi all, thanks for the responses regarding IPv6 routing on FCX.

I did get this working. One problem I encountered was due to "ip follow"
on my VEs. In order to activate IPv6 on the VE after adding IPv6 address,
I had to remove "ip follow ve #" and then re-apply "ip follow ve #"

I *think* this may have been caused by configuring ipv6 addresses on the
VEs before "ipv6 unicast-routing" global config was added.

Thanks,

Mark