for you all is what experience has the people of this list gotten from
foundry? Do they stand by their word? Is their support helpful? How
stable do their products seem? Do you have to fight with the devices to get
them to do what you want? Any info you all can give me will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Joseph Jackson

ANI Networks
Foundry Recommendations. [ In reply to ]
I have four HP 9304 which basically is a Foundry
BigIron 4k.
We've been using both HP and Foundry firmwares.
Have had a few probs but v7800k seems to have
sorted it all out.
CLI is cisco like (although with several drawbacks
in the usability like history is weird... )
Cheap box that will push a lot of packets.
Can't do much fancy stuff with it but hey, it's
cheap.

Since we have HP I can't comment on the Foundry
support.
We have had some major problems just recently, the
box just died on us. But this was resolved by the
new software.

Hope it helps :)

Kristian

Foundry Recommendations. [ In reply to ]
At my previous employer, we used Foundry extensively, I've experience w/
the Fast Iron (WG, and Chassis), the Server Iron (xl and chassis), and
then of course the Big Irons.

It really depends on how you plan on using the hardware, layer 2, and
layer 4-7 it's a really solid platform (i'd use FDRY for LB any day over
alteon or cisco), but one thing that always seems to give problems is
the interaction of L2 and L3 on the BI platforms', but in our case the
way were using these boxes in ways they were'nt ultimately meant to be used.
..All in all I've seen Cisco's choke on lesser loads then the BIs..

As far as support goes, as long as you're upfront about what your
support contract says, and give them the show tech up front they are
pretty responsive and easy to work with.

I'd say almost on par w/ Cisco, (although I like Cisco's tools. site
better)..

anyway as far as hardware capabilities go, I think going Foundry is
pretty smart, it's a cheaper (pricewise) box, and it pushes packets
better then the comprable cisco equipment..

Foundry Recommendations. [ In reply to ]

> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:26:11 -0800
> From: Joseph Jackson <jjackson at aninetworks.com>
> To: "'foundry-nsp at puck.nether.net'" <foundry-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Subject: [f-nsp] Foundry Recommendations.

> The company that I work for is planning a network infrastructure
> upgrade within the coming months. We are wanting to replace all out
> Cabletron devices with something from either Cisco or Foundry.

What features are you exactly looking for, because every box has it's
pro's and con's. And in the end I usually prefer the adagium of
getting the "least worst box". But then again I'm usually classified
as a more troublesome^Wvalued customer ;)

> So far I have talked to both parties and they both have good points
> and bad points. As of right now I am leaning towards foundry based
> on the price and their performance marks in the documentation I have
> seen from them.

When it comes to L2, Foundry is one of the best. If you're looking at
having it do major routing and using the latest greatest protocols
(IPv6 Multicast BGP and stuff) it depends on how much time and effort
you're willing and able to put into it. As most ISP/NSP people say, if
you want really high performance and rock-solid routing (no
switching!) your only real choice is Juniper (your wallet will say
otherwise though ;D).

But, what is it that you need ? ;)

> My question for you all is what experience has the people of this
> list gotten from foundry? Do they stand by their word? Is their
> support helpful? How stable do their products seem? Do you have to
> fight with the devices to get them to do what you want? Any info
> you all can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Support is generally helpful if your question or problem is for
something they have good experience with. When you reach the more
whizzbang features (like I'm doing with SSM IPv4 Multicast and IPv6
Multicast BGP etc. ;D) you really need to know your own stuff, and an
Iron Will [heard it's on their roadmap for 2007 ;D].

Technology works good, several IX'es (take the AMS-IX) swear by them,
and a lot of large traffic pushers over in NL also use Foundry routing
switches.

Do note that there is a large jump between their workgroup, SuperX and
real chassis devices. The software is different (the hardware is too),
so feature-wise you really need to do your homework, but then again,
you wouldn't be on this list if you didn't ;D

But, if you can be a bit more specific, I can be as well in return ;D

> Thanks
> Joseph Jackson
> ANI Networks

Kind regards,