state briefly changes to IDLE* and then back to IDLE.

The neighbor configuration is identical to the other working sessions, and
the next-hop is reachable and directly connected.

It has 283MB of RAM free, and there isn't anything unusual in the logs.

As I recall when I recently added it's 48th BGP session it stayed in the
IDLE state for 5 minutes before establishing.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what's wrong?

Sam
BGP Session stuck in IDLE state [ In reply to ]
--On 05 January 2005 15:53 +0000 Sam Stickland <sam_ml@spacething.org>
wrote:

> I've just added it's 49th and 50th BGP sessions to it, but they remain
> stuck in the IDLE stack. If I do a 'clear ip bgp nei x.y.z.w' then the
> state briefly changes to IDLE* and then back to IDLE.
>
> The neighbor configuration is identical to the other working sessions,
> and the next-hop is reachable and directly connected.
>
> It has 283MB of RAM free, and there isn't anything unusual in the logs.
>
> As I recall when I recently added it's 48th BGP session it stayed in the
> IDLE state for 5 minutes before establishing.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions as to what's wrong?

Any idea what the neighbour is?
Anything interesting or odd in the logs on the neighbour device?

Foundry used to have an insanely aggressive BGP scanner. Maybe they have
toned it down a bit, and in doing so, gone ultra conservative?

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Hughes Chief Technical Officer London Internet Exchange
mike@linx.net http://www.linx.net/
BGP Session stuck in IDLE state [ In reply to ]
Hiya Mike,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Mike Hughes wrote:

> --On 05 January 2005 15:53 +0000 Sam Stickland <sam_ml@spacething.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I've just added it's 49th and 50th BGP sessions to it, but they remain
>> stuck in the IDLE stack. If I do a 'clear ip bgp nei x.y.z.w' then the
>> state briefly changes to IDLE* and then back to IDLE.
>>
>> The neighbor configuration is identical to the other working sessions,
>> and the next-hop is reachable and directly connected.
>>
>> It has 283MB of RAM free, and there isn't anything unusual in the logs.
>>
>> As I recall when I recently added it's 48th BGP session it stayed in the
>> IDLE state for 5 minutes before establishing.
>>
>> Has anyone got any suggestions as to what's wrong?
>
> Any idea what the neighbour is?
> Anything interesting or odd in the logs on the neighbour device?

I've asked the peer for this information. In the meantime a quick MAC
address check shows it's a cisco.

> Foundry used to have an insanely aggressive BGP scanner. Maybe they have
> toned it down a bit, and in doing so, gone ultra conservative?

Perhaps, but there wasn't any problems with the first 47 BGP sessions -
they all established correctly.

I tried shutting down an iBGP session I could afford to lose. It didn't
make any difference to the two stuck IDLE sessions, and it came back up
again almost straight away when I brought it back.

So that does suggest that it's a problem specific to these neighbours.

(Just to clarify, when I save it's stuck in the IDLE state, it never moves
into the ACTV or CONN states).

Sam
BGP Session stuck in IDLE state [ In reply to ]
sh mem ?

Steve

BGP Session stuck in IDLE state [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:53:20PM +0000, Sam Stickland wrote:

> I've got a BI15000 equipped with a B4GMR4 running 07.7.01T53.
>
> I've just added it's 49th and 50th BGP sessions to it, but they remain
> stuck in the IDLE stack. If I do a 'clear ip bgp nei x.y.z.w' then the
> state briefly changes to IDLE* and then back to IDLE.
>
> The neighbor configuration is identical to the other working sessions, and
> the next-hop is reachable and directly connected.
>
> It has 283MB of RAM free, and there isn't anything unusual in the logs.
>
> As I recall when I recently added it's 48th BGP session it stayed in the
> IDLE state for 5 minutes before establishing.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions as to what's wrong?

We are running 200+ BGP sessions on a BI4000 with a jetcore M4
management blade with 512MB ram running 07.7.01T53. We have never
experienced this problem in our lifetime, even after flapping of peering
LANs

--
Cliff Albert <cliff@oisec.net>
BGP Session stuck in IDLE state [ In reply to ]
Appologies. I found the problem after doing a 'debug ip bgp events':

Jan 5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w Peer went to IDLE state (TCP Connection Closed by Remote)
Jan 5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w BGP connection closed
Jan 5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w remote peer closed TCP connection
Jan 5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w TCP Connection opened
Jan 5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w Active TCP Connection is Open, local IP a.b.c.d
Jan 5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w Init TCP Connection to peer, local IP a.b.c.d

Would appear that the remote peer was closing the session as our router
attempted to open it, so probably just a simple instance of the session
not being enabled/configured at their end. *blush*

Odd that 'sh ip bgp sum | inc xxxx' never showed anything other than the
IDLE state. Don't Foundry's usually display ACTIV for a period of time
(ala cisco's).

Sam